Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help with Insulated Table Runners

Help with Insulated Table Runners

I want to make a table runner which is quilted and insulated so I can put hot casserole dishes,etc on the table without ruining the table. Ive tried using cotton and insulbrite which works well until I wash it. Is there any product out there that will hold its shape, protect my table and can be quilted?

What happens when you wash the table runner? Do you pre-wash the fabrics? There are products like s*oft and stable used in bags to make them firm so you might want to contact them directly to inquire.

I generally do not wash my fabrics prior to sewing. When I wash the table runner, it loses its body and is soft like a quilt. I wash but do not dry so it does scrunch up a bit (which is fine with me). Id like a finished product that has more body/stiffness to it...as well as an heat insulating factor. And Id prefer not to have a huge number of layers to sew thru!

What about something like Bosal? It gives body and light stiffness to the item but is washable.

Watson

Are you quilting or tying the table runner?

Have you found a Bosal product that also has insulbrite qualities? Haven’t tried Bosal yet...would it be too thick if I just added a layer of insulbrite?

Machine quilting!

psquared...I've never used insulbrite so I can't say. Bosal isn't that thick, to my mind. You'd have to give it a test run. Only about 1/8" thick.

Editted to add they have a thing called Thermafoam for hot and cold stuff...might look into that.

Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Watson View Post
    psquared...I've never used insulbrite so I can't say. Bosal isn't that thick, to my mind. You'd have to give it a test run. Only about 1/8" thick.

Editted to add they have a thing called Thermafoam for hot and cold stuff...might look into that.

Watson
    Thank you!

I make placements and mug rugs with double or triple layer of batting for just this purpose. They protect my table, are easy to wash and wear well. I use a cotton batting but wool or bamboo may work as well but I do avoid most polyester battings because of the heat factor. Sometimes I have to cut my binding wider than normal to accommodate the thickness but it all works out well.

I use the heat resistant silver fabric for the backings of tablerunners that are going to be used for hot dishes. It stays smooth after washing. At least the bolt I have of it has lots of body to the fabric. It's years old so I don't know if it is still made the same.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Power Poster
    I use 2 layers of 80/20 batt with insulate between them for hot pads but I still don’t depend on them on a good wood table. If a casserole dish from the oven comes to the table, I use my phone book hot pad. Yep, I made a quilted cover for a phone book for really hot dishes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I use 2 layers of 80/20 batt with insulate between them for hot pads but I still don’t depend on them on a good wood table. If a casserole dish from the oven comes to the table, I use my phone book hot pad. Yep, I made a quilted cover for a phone book for really hot dishes.
    wow, great and creative idea!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

What if you put cotton batting on top, then Insulbrite, and Peltex on the bottom, that might give you the stiffness you want. and the Peltex would be far enough away that it shouldn't melt. Just a thought...
    Annette in Utah

That is an interesting idea! Thankfully, I have until October to work on the snowman table runner!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
    What if you put cotton batting on top, then Insulbrite, and Peltex on the bottom, that might give you the stiffness you want. and the Peltex would be far enough away that it shouldn't melt. Just a thought...

What about a layer of insul-brite on top then fusable fleece then layer of that 1/4" foam stuff used for purses .It should be thick and heat resistant and kinda stiff.
    Mary

When I make table runners like that, I don't quilt thru the insulbrite. I quilt the top, layer the insulbrite, then put a backing on the runner that "floats". I have washed them fine. They do pucker like a normal quilt but that doesn't bother me.

Blog Entries
    What great ideas in this thread!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.