Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! Left handed scissors (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-left-handed-scissors-t277045.html)

Sandygirl 03-25-2016 01:48 AM

I dunno but I would rest from quilting while my hand is healing. You could injure the other hand trying to compensate. Not worth the risk IMHO. Now is not the time to learn cutting left handed. I know that I coud not do it. Be well. And safe.
sandy

Z 03-25-2016 02:22 AM

Try Fiskars Spring Loaded Scissors

Originally Posted by carolstickelmaier (Post 7503806)
Not sure if this is right place to post but am sure if not the powers that be will move it..Thanks ladies. I fell over month ago took a nose dive and broke right hand. Just call me GRACE HERSELF! I am strictly right handed, left was not meant for finess on this ole body. Currently have a RESRICTIVE cast and will for at least another month. I tried to cut some simple blocks.........found out right handed scissors in left hand..............not so good! do any of you know if there is 'lefty' scissors and where I might get some. I would be willing to buy them and pass them on to the next unfortunate one. THANKS signed: Grace Herself

Try Fiskars spring loaded scissors where your thumb and finger don't go through holes but on the outside of the handles. They are available at Joann's and maybe Walmart.

SHELTIE'SMAMA 03-25-2016 02:22 AM

Fiskars spring loaded scissors work both left and right handed. They make large and small size. They worked for me when I mangled my right wrist ten years ago and more recently when a pit bull mangled everything but my thumb. Although they are not my go to scissors when everything is sort of working, I'm still going to them on those days when strength and staying power issues pop up. Keep quilting, it does get better, just takes longer than you'd like to get back to your new normal.

MaryKatherine 03-25-2016 05:03 AM

I'm left handed. As I child it was a painful exercise to cut anything. It was like Christmas when my mother bought me my first pair of left handed scissors. But I've since discovered that a lot of the generic sets sold in $ stores or dept stores have rounded the handles and have done away with that sharp fold that defined left grip from right. Try a few, ask the service people in you fabric store what they use. I'll bet they use an "ambi" scissor.
I would not recommend you use a rotary cutter. That would guarantee you cut you fingers off. !!

luvstoquilt 03-25-2016 05:37 AM

Buy Karen Kay Buckley scissors. I am 100 percent left handed and have left handed scissors but these are far superior and work with both hands. They grab the fabric and don't slip. The handles are soft and don't make your thumbs sore. I can't say enough about them. I bought them at a quilt show last year but know they can be found in quilt stores and on Amazon. I bought all 3 sizes and am so glad I did. I gifted a pair to a friend that has arthritis and she is as delighted with hers as I am with mine.

Snooze2978 03-25-2016 08:37 AM

I'm left-handed and have never been able to use left-handed scissors. Guess I just grew up accepting the right-handed world.

mim 03-25-2016 09:10 AM

don't forget left handed can openers -- My DH was super happy when I got one for him - also lefty corkscrews.

ManiacQuilter2 03-25-2016 10:47 AM

I agree with everyone else, invest in a pair of left handed scissors. Hopefully you will heal up nicely and be back to being right handed again.

Pat M. 03-25-2016 01:25 PM

JoAnns carry them. Just look.

Sandra in Minnesota 03-25-2016 04:43 PM

I am left-handed but learned to cut with the right-handed scissors because all scissors were right-handed. I received a pair of lefties, and couldn't cut with it! Go Figure! If I were you, I would wait until you can use your right hand, in a month-it will probably take that long to learn how to use the left-handed scissors. Good Luck.