Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help! Left handed scissors

Senior Member carolstickelmaier's Avatar

Help! Left handed scissors

Not sure if this is right place to post but am sure if not the powers that be will move it..Thanks ladies. I fell over month ago took a nose dive and broke right hand. Just call me GRACE HERSELF! I am strictly right handed, left was not meant for finess on this ole body. Currently have a RESRICTIVE cast and will for at least another month. I tried to cut some simple blocks.........found out right handed scissors in left hand..............not so good! do any of you know if there is 'lefty' scissors and where I might get some. I would be willing to buy them and pass them on to the next unfortunate one. THANKS signed: Grace Herself

Try this website: https://www.leftyslefthanded.com I have a left-handed son and have always had to find those types of things for him.
    Busy in Ohio

Just like left handed scissors don't work so good in the right hand. Yes Joanns carries them you might look online. Being a lefty, I have collected several pairs. Also invest in a Olfa cutter can be used in right or left hand.

Senior Member carolstickelmaier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertaK1 View Post
    Just like left handed scissors don't work so good in the right hand. Yes Joanns carries them you might look online. Being a lefty, I have collected several pairs. Also invest in a Olfa cutter can be used in right or left hand.
    Tks With my luck using a cutter I would have no fingers left on my left hand! I will call local Joannes tomorrow before ordering

ALso~~Ginghers are for both hands--at least some are! I'm a lefty, and I love mine!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Fiskars makes scissors for left handers. My husband has some and can't cut without them. They have red handles instead of orange. They were easy to find in the craft stores. I hope you will be able to use your right hand soon so you can get back to doing what you love to do.

Ask at your local fabric store, they may have a "Go" machine that you could use or rent for a few hours. Also, if you can use your cutting blades with your ruler, I would try that with clamps if I had to. Good luck.

left handed scissors are fairly easy to find. but if you are right handed you may have difficulty with accuracy and strength issues using scissors in left hand. it may sound weird and rather retro ..but when my arthritis gets too bad and i have a deadline that doesn't allow the option to just quit cutting till things are better ..i use electric scissors. not as easy to find as left handed scissors but i see them advertised now & again. they are super easy to use, no strength or cordination needed. and they last forever!
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

I'm left handed, but usually buy "either/or" scissors- designed to be used by left or right handers. It says that on the packaging- Joanns has them, I'm sure Hobby Lobby, Walmart and Michael's would also. That way, you could continue to use them when you heal- wishing you a speedy recovery!
    Come to Me and I will give you rest--Jesus.

They sell left-handed Gingher shears at JAF.

Also wanted to mention to be sure to flip your rotary blade around to the other side of your cutter. If you can't do that, you probably need a different rotary cutter. I know my Olfa ergonomic cutter works both ways depending on which side you put the blade (for left handed cutting, the blade should go on the right side of the cutter).

I dunno but I would rest from quilting while my hand is healing. You could injure the other hand trying to compensate. Not worth the risk IMHO. Now is not the time to learn cutting left handed. I know that I coud not do it. Be well. And safe.
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Z

Try Fiskars Spring Loaded Scissors

Quote Originally Posted by carolstickelmaier View Post
    Not sure if this is right place to post but am sure if not the powers that be will move it..Thanks ladies. I fell over month ago took a nose dive and broke right hand. Just call me GRACE HERSELF! I am strictly right handed, left was not meant for finess on this ole body. Currently have a RESRICTIVE cast and will for at least another month. I tried to cut some simple blocks.........found out right handed scissors in left hand..............not so good! do any of you know if there is 'lefty' scissors and where I might get some. I would be willing to buy them and pass them on to the next unfortunate one. THANKS signed: Grace Herself

Try Fiskars spring loaded scissors where your thumb and finger don't go through holes but on the outside of the handles. They are available at Joann's and maybe Walmart.

Fiskars spring loaded scissors work both left and right handed. They make large and small size. They worked for me when I mangled my right wrist ten years ago and more recently when a pit bull mangled everything but my thumb. Although they are not my go to scissors when everything is sort of working, I'm still going to them on those days when strength and staying power issues pop up. Keep quilting, it does get better, just takes longer than you'd like to get back to your new normal.

Blog Entries
    I'm left handed. As I child it was a painful exercise to cut anything. It was like Christmas when my mother bought me my first pair of left handed scissors. But I've since discovered that a lot of the generic sets sold in $ stores or dept stores have rounded the handles and have done away with that sharp fold that defined left grip from right. Try a few, ask the service people in you fabric store what they use. I'll bet they use an "ambi" scissor.
    I would not recommend you use a rotary cutter. That would guarantee you cut you fingers off. !!
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Buy Karen Kay Buckley scissors. I am 100 percent left handed and have left handed scissors but these are far superior and work with both hands. They grab the fabric and don't slip. The handles are soft and don't make your thumbs sore. I can't say enough about them. I bought them at a quilt show last year but know they can be found in quilt stores and on Amazon. I bought all 3 sizes and am so glad I did. I gifted a pair to a friend that has arthritis and she is as delighted with hers as I am with mine.
    Last edited by luvstoquilt; 03-25-2016 at 05:44 AM.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I'm left-handed and have never been able to use left-handed scissors. Guess I just grew up accepting the right-handed world.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Babylock Ellegante, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Elna 945
    Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

mim
    don't forget left handed can openers -- My DH was super happy when I got one for him - also lefty corkscrews.

I agree with everyone else, invest in a pair of left handed scissors. Hopefully you will heal up nicely and be back to being right handed again.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

JoAnns carry them. Just look.

Blog Entries
    I am left-handed but learned to cut with the right-handed scissors because all scissors were right-handed. I received a pair of lefties, and couldn't cut with it! Go Figure! If I were you, I would wait until you can use your right hand, in a month-it will probably take that long to learn how to use the left-handed scissors. Good Luck.

There are very few true left handed scissors out there. When I finally found some, I couldn't cut with them. My favorites scissors are the Ginghers with the dark plastic handles. My new ones weren't made by Gingher, but Fiskars - a buyout, maybe, but they're are still great - unless you cut through a pin on their first use. With these, you won't need to give them up as they are both universal. With a coupon at JoAnn's they were very reasonable.

A lot of lefties on here make a good point -- years back there weren't left-handed scissors like today & so people like my mom learned to cut holding right-handed scissors in their left hand (with a nun yelling at her for not being right handed). So when my right hand was out of commission for 3 weeks due to a severe burn, I just had my mom show me how to hold the right handed scissors with my left hand. It took a bunch of practice, but now I can cut just as accurately with both hands ... I'm just faster with my right. I've since developed tendinitis in my right thumb & have had to cut left-handed a few other times for up to 5 weeks at a time. Personally, I prefer the left-handed scissors but not everyone does. You might try just switching your current scissors to your left hand and see how that works for you.

mim
    look up leftyslefthanded.com -- they have everything for leftys -- and they are not all outdoors expensive -- you will not be a lefty forever.

Mim

I'm right handed, but about 12 years ago, I fell fracturing my right wrist. It was an enormous inconvenience, since I worked as a legal assistant in a law office. Also, trying to write, sign my name, etc. Of course, my wrist did finally mend, and I had not gotten really into quilting at that time. Do be very careful using a rotary cutter left-handed. It's really easy to cut yourself using it right-handed if you're right handed, much less using your non-dominant hand for something it's not accustomed to doing. Take care and heal!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I own both Ginghers and Mundial left handed shears.
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast