Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  Left handed scissors >

Help! Left handed scissors

Help! Left handed scissors

Old 03-25-2016, 07:23 PM

There are very few true left handed scissors out there. When I finally found some, I couldn't cut with them. My favorites scissors are the Ginghers with the dark plastic handles. My new ones weren't made by Gingher, but Fiskars - a buyout, maybe, but they're are still great - unless you cut through a pin on their first use. With these, you won't need to give them up as they are both universal. With a coupon at JoAnn's they were very reasonable.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:05 PM

A lot of lefties on here make a good point -- years back there weren't left-handed scissors like today & so people like my mom learned to cut holding right-handed scissors in their left hand (with a nun yelling at her for not being right handed). So when my right hand was out of commission for 3 weeks due to a severe burn, I just had my mom show me how to hold the right handed scissors with my left hand. It took a bunch of practice, but now I can cut just as accurately with both hands ... I'm just faster with my right. I've since developed tendinitis in my right thumb & have had to cut left-handed a few other times for up to 5 weeks at a time. Personally, I prefer the left-handed scissors but not everyone does. You might try just switching your current scissors to your left hand and see how that works for you.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:32 PM
mim

look up leftyslefthanded.com -- they have everything for leftys -- and they are not all outdoors expensive -- you will not be a lefty forever.

Mim
Old 03-25-2016, 09:28 PM

I'm right handed, but about 12 years ago, I fell fracturing my right wrist. It was an enormous inconvenience, since I worked as a legal assistant in a law office. Also, trying to write, sign my name, etc. Of course, my wrist did finally mend, and I had not gotten really into quilting at that time. Do be very careful using a rotary cutter left-handed. It's really easy to cut yourself using it right-handed if you're right handed, much less using your non-dominant hand for something it's not accustomed to doing. Take care and heal!
Old 03-25-2016, 09:54 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I own both Ginghers and Mundial left handed shears.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:27 PM

I bought DH his left handed scissors at Walmart in the sewing department. Less than $7 if I remember right. He gas cut fabric with them without problem.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:33 AM

My mother-in-law gave me a left-handed fiskars scissors for Christmas years ago. One of my favorite things. Before cutters came along, that is how I cut all my fabric so yes there are scissors for us lefties.

Last edited by Karamarie; 03-26-2016 at 04:35 AM. Reason: a change
Old 03-26-2016, 04:57 AM
Power Poster

Looks like you've already gotten a lot of suggestions. Just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery and don't try to do too much. You want it to heal correctly!!
Old 03-26-2016, 04:57 AM
Vat

I didn't read all the post but Fiskars makes a wrist saver shear that is either left or right handed. Has one hole for fingers and is spring loaded. Very easy to use for all. I don't remember the cost but since they can be left or right handed they would not be a loss.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:23 AM

When purchasing left handed scissors, make sure they are "true" left hand. Most manufacturers put left handed handles on right handed blades.