Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with Longarm Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-longarm-quilting-t57267.html)

bstroud51 08-01-2010 07:21 AM

I'm new to the longarm and have found sometimes I have what is call Pokey's. This appears to be my needle punching batting and or Quilt Top thur to the back. I am quilting a black, white & red D9P with a black back. Can anyone help?????????????

AlleyCat 08-01-2010 07:26 AM

By chance are you using black batting? have you changed your needle? every once in awhile when I'm using warm and natural it tends to do that. I know I've read somewhere on the board that it has a side that quilts better than the other....

bstroud51 08-01-2010 07:30 AM

I'm using warm and natural batting. I did one before with black batting with same results. I did change my needle before starting.

Candace 08-01-2010 07:32 AM

Do you have the needle punched side of the batting facing up? There is a right and not-so-right side of the batting.

charismah 08-01-2010 07:50 AM

The side that is supposed to face up I call the "orange peel side" of the batting...that should help you. But sometime it still happens..it all washes away.

cjtinkle 08-01-2010 07:55 AM

I put the scrim side down when quilting. But a simple test, take a needle and poke it a couple times on both sides. Whichever side the needle penetrates easiest, put that side up.

crashnquilt 08-01-2010 08:33 AM

The pokies are usually the bobbin thread coming thru to the top. It can really be noticable when using two different colors of threads.

If you are going to use two different threads it is recommended to use polyesther batting. Or an 80/20 batting as these are a bit thicker and have more loft.

Also, you need to adjust both the bobbin and needle tensions. It is difficult at best to get them perfectly balanced for this but getting close is acceptable.

For the bobbin, adjust the case to where you can pick up the bobbin and case with the thread and have the case crawl down much like a spider. Then adjust the needle tension, set it a bit on the tight side so you will see the bobbin thread come up and keep loosening until you can just barely see the bobbin thread on the top side. When you start quilting the bobbin thread should be just right then.

Using just a thin batt like W&N will not accomplish the look you want.

bstroud51 08-01-2010 09:21 AM

I think it is the batting. I have the orange peel side down.

franie 08-01-2010 09:25 AM

Once you take it off the frame, it may relax and go away. I had one doing that and it did go away. I like poly batting better now than W&N but the one that recently did that was using W&N. I have less lint too using the poly batting.

Candace 08-01-2010 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by bstroud51
I think it is the batting. I have the orange peel side down.

Then you have the batting on backwards. This explains your problem.