Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help me make a fabric decision, please! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-me-make-fabric-decision-please-t209524.html)

wishfulthinking 12-29-2012 08:20 AM

Help me make a fabric decision, please!

Year end fabric sales are killing me, mostly because I have a terrible time making up my mind! So, I only want to spend around $50. For that amount, I can get all the fabrics for a particular pattern that finishes at 66 x 78. I like the pattern and don't have a problem buying the exact fabrics that it calls for. Or, I can buy a whole bunch of other fabrics to beef up my stash of reds in view of some day making a red & white quilt. Which would y'all rather have, fabrics ready to go for a quilt, or stash enhancement?

Murphy1 12-29-2012 08:25 AM

I think I am at the stage where there is plenty of stash, so I would go with the fabric for a particular pattern, because when it is finished the left overs will add to my stash. I love scrappies and it is always fun to think about previous quilts when I use my stash.

GagaSmith 12-29-2012 08:25 AM

I personally would go for the fabrics to make the quilt. I often buy fabrics for my stash just because they're on sale and never use them. But really, it's up to you. Which is more important, the particular pattern or the red & white you want to make in the future?

TanyaL 12-29-2012 08:32 AM

Do you want to make this particular quilt now or do you have other projects ready to sew on? A stash can always be built up slowly, on sale, a few pieces at a time.

Raggiemom 12-29-2012 08:33 AM

I'd buy the fabric to make the quilt now. Then as other sales come along, you could build up your red stash.

auntpiggylpn 12-29-2012 08:42 AM

I would also buy the fabrics for the quilt. I have too many fabrics in my stash that I bought because they were on sale and I had to have them. There they sit, wrapped around their boards, lined up pretty on the shelves. I am going to the huge inventory reduction sale at my favorite LQS on New Years day. Everything in the store is at least 35% off. I am making a list of what I need for a couple of projects and them I am going to get some basics. I will be diligently working this year on reducing my idle stash.

wishfulthinking 12-29-2012 09:24 AM

I have to admit I have several years worth of stash that I bought because of price, but also because I loved the fabrics. I only recently started using the fabrics, but I am using them at last!

inspectorcmm 12-29-2012 09:31 AM

for ready to go quilts, stashes have a way of getting out of hand lol

Pat625 12-29-2012 10:00 AM

I would get the fabric for the quilt, since you really want to make it...Building stash might be a better economic decision, but we do this for pleasure...not economy!! You deserve to splurge~!!

YukonViv 12-29-2012 10:19 AM

Ok, odd quilter out, I would add to my stash and beef up my fabric.

Is the quilt you are liking something you'll start shortly? Do you like it that much? Is it something that you recently found and can live without?

You have a goal in mind and it's some day doing a red and white quilt. That goal will keep getting pushed back if you don't have enough reds.

I've been quilting about 4 years now, I'm at the point that I'm taking advantage of sales to build my stash of colours I need for the future. In the beginning I picked up quilt patterns and the fabrics needed with a thought that I would quilt it up soon. 4 years later most of those are still not started. And I can't touch the fabric for other projects because they are "saved" for that particular pattern/quilt.

I don't know if that helps you but it's what I would do!