Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help me understand (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-me-understand-t199269.html)

dunster 09-01-2012 10:50 AM

One long piece, long enough to do all 4 sides, would be a very long piece of fabric indeed when you're talking about a bed quilt. For a 100" square quilt, this would be about 12 yards of fabric! And if your border is only 5" wide, what would you do with the remaining 12 yards by 35"? I think she was not explaining herself very well, because this is not a way to save fabric!

LadyElisabeth 09-01-2012 10:54 AM

Now that I am one of the "older" quilters, I say, "DO IT WHATEVER WAY IS EASIEST FOR YOU". We may have more experience but we are not you

Tartan 09-01-2012 11:19 AM

Sometimes I do cut my long borders pieces first. The exception is when the fabric has a noticeable directional print. In that case I decide if it is more important for the pattern to all go in one direction or not. This means occasionally cutting on the crosswise instead of all on the lengthwise of the fabric.

true4uca 09-01-2012 11:32 AM

Thank you ,thank you

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter (Post 5483515)

The quiltville site is now in my favorites. Hated taking 3 measurements & averaging thing. Her way makes so much more sense.

bearisgray 09-01-2012 12:03 PM

I think she may have meant to sew all the lengths together - like we do for continuous binding - and then cut off the amounts needed - so that the seams would hit 'wherever' -

true4uca 09-01-2012 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5483772)
I think she may have meant to sew all the lengths together - like we do for continuous binding - and then cut off the amounts needed - so that the seams would hit 'wherever' -

You know I think you are so right.

GrannieAnnie 09-01-2012 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by true4uca (Post 5483489)
There was an older lady at our quilting group yesterday. She said we should make our bordersall one really long piece, enough to do all four sides of quilt. Then sub cut this to fit our sides. She claims there is less waste

She wants you to buy a piece of border fabric 12 yards long so you can cut 4" along one side? Less waste?

She's not telling you something!

GrannieAnnie 09-01-2012 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5483641)
One long piece, long enough to do all 4 sides, would be a very long piece of fabric indeed when you're talking about a bed quilt. For a 100" square quilt, this would be about 12 yards of fabric! And if your border is only 5" wide, what would you do with the remaining 12 yards by 35"? I think she was not explaining herself very well, because this is not a way to save fabric!

LOL, that was my reaction. She's leaving part of the story out!

Scissor Queen 09-01-2012 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by true4uca (Post 5483489)
There was an older lady at our quilting group yesterday. She said we should make our bordersall one really long piece, enough to do all four sides of quilt. Then sub cut this to fit our sides. She claims there is less waste

The part I don't get is "waste." It's not like you're cutting out a dress and want to use the least amount of fabric possible. Fabric left from making a quilt isn't waste. It's scrap starters for another quilt.

teddysmom 09-02-2012 03:01 AM

I agree with Katier85. That's how I do mine. Seems to work for me.