Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with Metalic Thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-metalic-thread-t224997.html)

buslady 07-02-2013 08:10 AM

Help with Metalic Thread

I am trying to do some thread painting with metalic thread and the thread keeps breaking, and the thread seems to be pushed down into the fabric. I am sure I have tension issues, but up or down? Also, I saw a post at one time that a lady was telling the needle size/type to use and what worked best for the bobbin thread. Please, I need help!!! I don't have a lot of patience for playing. Or rethreading!! Thinking about doing it by hand, it is that frustrating to me!!!!

mike'sgirl 07-02-2013 08:21 AM

I recently saw a Fons and Porter show, and a man, Eric something, was talking about thread. He mentioned metallic thread and said that since it was a flat thread that you had to have the spool standing up, not parallel to the machine. How is your thread positioned? If it's laying down, it might help to bring the spool up. Hth, Gina

romanojg 07-02-2013 08:28 AM

Spool of thread should be standing up; I put mine in a coffee cup and up and over the machine. Make sure it doesn't get close to the take up wheel or it could get tangled. You can also use Microtec needles too those will help. Go to emblibrary.com to see their videos. I'd try like a size 90 needle,

bobbiesboutique 07-02-2013 08:38 AM

Ive also been using metallic thread to decorate some bug jars for my daughters quilt. I have put a thin layer of fleece batting on the back side of the jars for 3D effect But I think it is also working somewhat as a stabalizer for all the thread work and quilting since I havent yet pieced them together or sandwhiched it yet I started using a 90/14 heavy duty needle it worked great, Im using the spool up and down, supreme slider and I believe my feed dogs are still up because the slider covers them and I think when you lower them you start to have more issues with your machine make sure the thread isnt getting caught on something along the path I keep my spools on a stand slightly to the side/back of my machine I hope I could help.

bobbiesboutique 07-02-2013 08:50 AM

I also just read that metallica or metafil needles have a nonstick coating in the eye to reduce friction with metallic threads, but topstitch needles are great also because they have an eye that is flatter across the top helps to prevent fraying and keeps glitzy threads from curling and breaking - Libby Lehman.

buslady 07-02-2013 09:00 AM

Thank you for all the quick responses. I did have the thread laying paralell, but stood it up. My Janome has a spot for that, but maybe I will try my self standing thread holder. I am also going to go get some different needles. I knew I had seen something about metalic threads.. Now I remember, I have the show taped witht he guy using the metalic threads!! I will pop that up and watch it tonight!! Thank goodness for the DirecTV recording system!!

snipforfun 07-02-2013 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl (Post 6155700)
I recently saw a Fons and Porter show, and a man, Eric something, was talking about thread. He mentioned metallic thread and said that since it was a flat thread that you had to have the spool standing up, not parallel to the machine. How is your thread positioned? If it's laying down, it might help to bring the spool up. Hth, Gina

I saw that show too. I think the flat thread he was using was not the traditional metallic thread. Superior has a flat metallic called Glitter which I have used with no problem. Their traditional metallic is wonderful. I use a topstitch needle, turn down the tension and use a thread stand so the thread flows freely. Here is a link to Superiors info about metallic. http://www.superiorthreads.com/product/Fiber/metallic/

BTW Metallic needles and topstitch needles are pretty much identical. Long eye is the important part

ghostrider 07-02-2013 10:45 AM

I use metallic threads in an upright position; Metallic, Metafil, or Metallica needles size 90/14 (they all have a longer, smoother eye, but I prefer Schmetz); tension at 2 or 3; and stitch length at 2.5 to 3. Metallic needles are smoother than topstitch needles, thus reducing the chances of breaking even further. Once I settled on these settings, they have worked for me perfectly ever since. :)

grammysharon 07-02-2013 01:07 PM

The only thing I would add to the explanation is a thread stand behind the machine!!!

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 6155879)
I use metallic threads in an upright position; Metallic, Metafil, or Metallica needles size 90/14 (they all have a longer, smoother eye, but I prefer Schmetz); tension at 2 or 3; and stitch length at 2.5 to 3. Metallic needles are smoother than topstitch needles, thus reducing the chances of breaking even further. Once I settled on these settings, they have worked for me perfectly ever since. :)

ManiacQuilter2 07-02-2013 01:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl (Post 6155700)

I saw the show too and thought it was very informative. I also use a product I get at JAF called "All-Purpose Sewer's Aid. The instruction on the bottle is: "For best results, apply sparingly. Use as often as necessary. Ideal for thread, needles. scissors and other sewing tools". All the edges are zig zag with metallic. I also have found that the quality of your metallic thread also is important.