Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help, my Brother SE 270 is eating my fabric! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-my-brother-se-270-eating-my-fabric-t160231.html)

dollycaswell 10-13-2011 04:29 PM

Yes, I know, change the needle, clean out the fuzz bunnies, I've done everything I can think of and it's STILL EATING MY FABRIC!! In fact it's getting difficult to climb over a normal seam any more. I'm in a major tizzy, our local repair shop costs a fortune and I can't afford to take it in right now. Do any of you lovely folks have any ideas or suggestions - I'm nearly crazy trying to sew and fighting this machine. It never used to do this, just started in about the last 2 or 3 weeks.

1000projects 10-13-2011 04:34 PM

Is it making rats nests on the back?

Have you oiled it? I don't oil my modern machine (ever) but it might not hurt)

I would ask around ... maybe someone has a machine you can borrow. A nice working machine.

fayzer 10-13-2011 04:39 PM

Try using a pipe cleaner to clean where you can't see. There is probably some thread caught or a lint build up somewhere.

NanaCsews2 10-13-2011 04:47 PM

I had to take off the needle plate on my machine yesterday because when I used the thread cutter, the fabric would go down into the hole of the plate and 'get eaten'. I found a 4" thread stuck to some fuzz bunnies way down below the bobbin case. Cleaned it out and no problems since.

Nanamoms 10-13-2011 05:07 PM

Have you use the dental floss to clean the upper thread guides? I have the 270D and it has done that a time or 2. Be sure to use the "unwaxed" dental floss.

I just had my PE700II start eating fabric today and I about freaked out. I'm in the middle of a project with a deadline of tomorrow. I cleaned everything really good, did a shutdown on it, removed, clean and replaced the embroidery unit and have had no more problems...keeping fingers X'd!!

PaperPrincess 10-13-2011 06:04 PM

I know you said you cleaned out the bunnies, just want to make sure you removed the plate. It sounds like the feed dogs may not be engaging. Make sure that you remove the plate and clean around the feed dogs.

wuv2quilt 10-13-2011 06:07 PM

Check your bobbin...I put mine in backwards today and it did the same as yours...flipped the bobbin the way it's supposed to go, sew just fine now :)

Peckish 10-13-2011 06:15 PM

That machine is self-oiling, don't oil it.

Are you holding your thread tails while you take the first couple of stitches?

kathdavis 10-13-2011 06:17 PM

Change the needle, rethread the machine, clean it out thoroughly. Good luck. That is so frustrating. I feel for you.

quilter_kjm 10-13-2011 06:18 PM

my featherweight was doing that. I oiled, cleaned, took it in for a tune up. One place said I needed to replace the bobbin housing. I took it to another and he just tightened everything up. works like a charm.