Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help..need new quilting rulers and templates.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-need-new-quilting-rulers-templates-t204419.html)

Treasureit 10-29-2012 03:57 PM

If you are looking for a deal...keep your eye out on craigslist for sewing fabric and notions...I see them on there sometimes...I have been to yard sales that have had them pretty cheap.

caspharm 10-29-2012 07:08 PM

Also, check places online like the sale board here and Sewitsforsale yahoo group. I am sure there are many others forums that people will sell used items.

tenngal 10-30-2012 01:12 PM

That's exactly what I did. I got a 3 1/2 x 3 1/2, a 6 1/2 x 6 1/2 , a 9 1/2 x 3 1/2 for sashing, a 9 1/2 x 9 1/2 and a 12 1/2 x 12 1/2 for just a few dollars and Lowe's cut them for me at no charge.

chuckbere15 10-31-2012 11:12 PM

If you have a pattern and need to make a template for cutting shapes like a hexagon you can get one of the peel and stick floor tiles. Draw your shape on the back and cut it out using a razor sharp utility knife. Then you will be able to use your rotary cutter to cut the fabric and you have a solid template vs. paper to draw/trace with.

rtm 11-01-2012 04:14 PM

Our company has over 70 acrylic tools to select from. Our strength is in specialty rulers and templates. There are books that support the use of many of the tools. Our templates and tools generally have special corners that are very important to the success of your early projects. We choose not to sell to the big box stores because they cannot provide the support and information you should have after buying the most basic tools. We suggest that you quickly find a good independent store to help guide you. Look for "From Marti Michell Products," Michell Marketing, Inc., at independent stores and on line. You can see all of the products at www.frommarti.com. Have fun.... and you will!

Ioftheneedle 11-01-2012 04:54 PM

Just yesterday I learned there are rulers out now that have some sort of edge that sharpens your blade on rotary cutter as you use it. If I were starting out I think I would check it out. I saw it on Missouri Star Quilt site.

applique 11-01-2012 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by ML1221 (Post 5617413)
Thanks so much for the great advise.. i do get really great coupons from joann on my iphone i just usually use it for fabric lol Yeah I'm not sure how I would get the markings on them either lol so I will def take everyone suggestions and just wait until I have a coupon then get some rulers...:thumbup:

Joannes has a publication they put out Fashion Fusion for $3.99 with 50% and 40% coupons on the back. They are good for about 6 months and can be used on each item being bought. For example if you are buying two rulers and three pieces of fabric, you can use one coupon for each item. When I am buying bolts of fusible, stiffener etc. it is well worth the price of the publication because I save a ton of money!

117becca 11-02-2012 01:23 AM

I will add to the my favorite sizes are an 8.5 x 24 green Omnigrid ruler - it's got an anti-slip on the back. I got it at Joann's at 50% off. I also have a 6x12 ruler that I use alot. I will also say that I bought a 2.5 x 6.5 little ruler by Creative Grids that I like alot and use it at my quilt when i need to draw straight lines. I'd probably be looking at Creative Grids more if i needed the larger rulers. I just wait until I need a specialty ruler before I buy one.

BellaBoo 11-02-2012 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin (Post 5617672)
Amazing isn't it, how "expensive" ruler seems that will last you for years but people will spend $5 for a cup of coffee or $20 for a meal (or more) at a restaurant that only lasts for a few hours without complaining or blinking an eye.

I know! A young guild member commented to me that she wished she could afford to buy new quilting stuff as she sipped her $6 Starbucks that she gets every morning. LOL. I told her that I would rather spend $180 a month on quilting then giving it to Starbucks.