Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help..need new quilting rulers and templates.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-need-new-quilting-rulers-templates-t204419.html)

ML1221 10-27-2012 06:18 PM

Help..need new quilting rulers and templates....

Hi..I'm 25 years old and new to quilting and I love it.. I have been taking classes at my local high school and have learned so much.. But what I haven't learned is how to make and or have someone make me some different acrylic rulers or template.. I've been to Joann and Walmart and I've also checked out so many quilt shop online and one thing they have in common is how expensive those rulers are.. If anyone has some ideas I would love some feed backs... Thanks so much Maria :o

TexasSunshine 10-27-2012 06:31 PM

Welcome to quilting, you will enjoy it. One way to save on rulers is to use coupons for them or look for them on sale. Hobby Lobby, Joanns and Hancocks have sales all the time. Also check online for sales, Missouri Star Quilt Co. has a daily deal that has fantastic prices and specials. You do need a few basic rulers such as 12x12, 4x24 or 6x24. Good luck.

spokanequilter 10-27-2012 06:44 PM

I agree that they are expensive. But, you really only need 2 or 3 good rulers to start. my favorites are 12x12 and 6x24. I also have (among a whole bunch of others) a 6x6 square up ruler that I use all the time. Like Texas Sunshine said there are good deals online - or maybe you could get one with a 50% off coupon at JoAnns. You sure don't need to get a ton of rulers all at once to start out with. I suppose you could have someone at a hardware store or hobby shop cut you some pieces of acrylic in the correct dimensions, but I'm not sure how you would get all the markings on there accurately. And if the quarter-inch and eighth-inch lines aren't right, you'll have a huge problem when cutting your fabric.

Prism99 10-27-2012 06:52 PM

I think you're better off starting out with just 2 or 3 good quality rulers, all the same brand. I'm thinking of investing in the Creative Grids rulers. If I had to, I could get by with just a 6x24 and a 3.5x12 -- the ones I am always picking up to use. I would also invest in a June Tailor Shape Cut mat for cutting strips (makes the process easier and faster). I also used to like the EZ angle for cutting half-square triangles, but haven't done them that way in quite awhile.

Pickles 10-27-2012 06:54 PM

I would say to go and buy you a sheet of acrylic and have Lows cut you the sizes out of it that you need
if you buy the sheet of acrylic from them they will cut them for free. Hope this helps and welcome to the board.

Tashana 10-27-2012 06:54 PM

I have just bought a ruler at Joann's with 40% off cupon. If you have an iPhone you can download Joann's app and the store will scan it for discount. I am bad, I take my hubby with his phone so I can by two things at a time. I do not feel guilty because I know how high mark up they have On those things.

Neesie 10-27-2012 06:57 PM

Go to http://www.hobbylobby.com/weekly/weekly.cfm and print out a 40% off coupon. If you have a smartphone, you can also just show the coupon, on that. The online coupon updates, on Sunday, so wait and print one out, for next week. You can use one coupon, per day. I hardly ever pay full price, from sewing supplies.

Dolphyngyrl 10-27-2012 07:01 PM

Connecting threads has rulers on sale for great prices throughout the year

ML1221 10-27-2012 07:03 PM

Thanks so much for the great advise.. i do get really great coupons from joann on my iphone i just usually use it for fabric lol Yeah I'm not sure how I would get the markings on them either lol so I will def take everyone suggestions and just wait until I have a coupon then get some rulers...:thumbup:

cowgirlquilter 10-27-2012 07:03 PM

Sometimes I find good deals on eBay and Craigslist......