Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help this newbie please.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-newbie-please-t187782.html)

coopah 05-03-2012 04:21 AM

Welcome! You're going to like it here. It's a friendly place. Make the borders fit the length and width you need to make it do what you want it to do. Use the colors in the panel to guide the border colors. Good luck and again, welcome!

jaciqltznok 05-03-2012 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Christine George (Post 5185273)
Welcome from Milwaukee. You don't have to use the same size borders all the way around. Add your narrow borders all the way around to make your 45 inches, then add some pieced lines top and bottom to make your 65 inches. It will look great. Just remember, it's your quilt. Do what you want and have fun.

exactly! welcome and have fun!

hoppa 05-03-2012 05:11 AM

welcome vhord and you are doing a wonderful job!

Grace MooreLinker 05-03-2012 07:45 AM

Welcome to QB from another oldy but goody quilter. Put what ever borders on your quilt that you think looks good. that's what makes it a personel quilt.. Have fun quilting don't stress over it.

pal 05-03-2012 08:29 AM

Wow, your quilt is gorgeous! The red looks great. I'd use a thin black binding after the next border (the bird fabric). Are you going to embellish at all? You did a wonderful job!

MdmSew'n'Sew 05-03-2012 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by vhord620 (Post 5185240)
anyone experienced with fabric panels? I bought a birdhouse panel 30 x 40" and dont know how to add to it for a small (approx 45 x 65) quilt. I consider adding wider top and bottom borders than the side borders. I have matching printed fabric and several solid colors I can use. Would it look too out of porportion? I've used pencil and paper to try making a design and it always comes out wider than I want if I use same size borders all around....I'd truly appreciate your help.

I'm a 70 yr old newbie and dont have a clue on putting colors and patterns together.

Welcome!

Check out some of the pictures posted for the Round Robins in the Members Swap section - that should give you lots of ideas of how various people added borders to a center - someone creates a center or sends a fabric panel, the next person adds a border, then the 3rd person adds a second border ... really interesting, there are so many ideas and pictures, it's sure to fire you up, and like everyone has said, the borders don't have to be the same size on the sides as on the top/bottom, as long as they play together - like feline fanatic's trees - if she had used the same trees for the top and bottom as on the sides, the top & bottom would be taller, while the sides are skinny, so if trees were 5" tall and 3" wide, top and bottom would be maybe 6", with border background and the sides would be 4" - there's lots of ways to get what you want. Show us pictures when you can.

charlottemarie 05-03-2012 10:03 AM

Thanks feline fanatic, your picture cleared up a problem for me! I have a quilt with tulips and I put it together too long, now I have to put borders on the sides to make it look right. Now I feel better about it!

charlottemarie 05-03-2012 10:06 AM

vhord720, if anyone complains about your quilt, just send it to me and I promise to love and cherish it! LOL

jeanharville 05-03-2012 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by vhord620 (Post 5185240)
anyone experienced with fabric panels? I bought a birdhouse panel 30 x 40" and dont know how to add to it for a small (approx 45 x 65) quilt. I consider adding wider top and bottom borders than the side borders. I have matching printed fabric and several solid colors I can use. Would it look too out of porportion? I've used pencil and paper to try making a design and it always comes out wider than I want if I use same size borders all around....I'd truly appreciate your help.
I'm a 70 yr old newbie and dont have a clue on putting colors and patterns together.

I'm so glad you asked this question. I too am new to quilting at age 68 and I'm glad to "meet" someone else who got a late start.

Delilah 05-03-2012 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't like square quilts so I added "migrating geese" to the top and bottom of one to add length then put on the borders. It turned out really cool. [ATTACH=CONFIG]332667[/ATTACH]Because you have a bird themed panel the migrating geese would be fun to add. If you can't find the directions let me know and I'll see what I can do to get them to you.