Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help this newbie please.. >

Help this newbie please..

Help this newbie please..

Old 05-01-2012, 07:04 AM

Default Help this newbie please..

anyone experienced with fabric panels? I bought a birdhouse panel 30 x 40" and dont know how to add to it for a small (approx 45 x 65) quilt. I consider adding wider top and bottom borders than the side borders. I have matching printed fabric and several solid colors I can use. Would it look too out of porportion? I've used pencil and paper to try making a design and it always comes out wider than I want if I use same size borders all around....I'd truly appreciate your help.

I'm a 70 yr old newbie and dont have a clue on putting colors and patterns together.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:16 AM

Welcome from Milwaukee. You don't have to use the same size borders all the way around. Add your narrow borders all the way around to make your 45 inches, then add some pieced lines top and bottom to make your 65 inches. It will look great. Just remember, it's your quilt. Do what you want and have fun.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:27 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Glad to hear your quilting! I see your problem. I have had the same problem. If I were you I would do what Christine said and add a narrow border first around your panel and then add wide borders to the side and narrow ones to the top. They don't have to match. In fact, the size of each of the side borders don't have to be the same size. That's just my opinion. You'll get lots of opinions. Welcome to the best place for quilters!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:48 AM

You might try piecing some simple blocks (maybe 9 patch) and adding those to the top and bottom - then add borders. It is really up to you. I've done "uneven" borders and had great results.

Hope you post a picture for us to enjoy!!!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:55 AM

Welcome from Texas. I agree with what Christine told you, that would make a very pretty quilt.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:58 AM

I agree with Carrie. Some pieced blocks, top and bottom, would allow you to add however much length you need, while still keeping the borders even.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

I prefer to have borders from the same fabric be the same width so I really like the idea of adding an additional row on the top and bottom to extend one direction. You can use pieced blocks, appliqued blocks, or an alternating fabric or stripe. However, the others are right - it's your quilt so do what looks right to you.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
Glad to hear your quilting! I see your problem. I have had the same problem. If I were you I would do what Christine said and add a narrow border first around your panel and then add wide borders to the side and narrow ones to the top. They don't have to match. In fact, the size of each of the side borders don't have to be the same size. That's just my opinion. You'll get lots of opinions. Welcome to the best place for quilters!
I never thought about the fact that all borders didn't have to be the same size, I like it!!! Also welcome to the new quilter, how wonderful to learn something new - age ain't nothing but a number. you go girl.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:59 AM

My first thought was to add some pieced blocks to the top and bottom of the panel but I like the idea of adding a thin border first.

With retro being all the rage, different sizes borders are totally in.

Welcome to the quilting world, it sure is a fun place to be! (Just ask us. )
Old 05-01-2012, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board and the world of quilting! Your quilt, your rules! You can do anything you like. I am currently working on a quilt where the center is a flannel panel and in order for the quilt to get to the dimension I needed I added different size borders, only mine are wider on the sides rather than the top and bottom. Here is a picture, the black border closest to the panel is wider on the sides and so is the border outside the pieced pine trees. It works for me but with this picture you can determine if you want to do this or add a different fabric to just top and bottom in one of your rounds.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]332218[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails flannel-panel-quilt.jpg