Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help this newbie please..

Blog Entries
    I agree with Christine. I just did it on a quilt! There are no rules on borders! Welcome and show u's the finished project!!

and, no one says the borders have to match eachc other or even be equally distributed. Like use only the left and the bottom. It's your design, you are the artist signing the work

Looks wonderful, you are doing a great job!
    Jo

Blog Entries
    Wow very pretty. so many different ways to do it As nycqilter says: you are the artist signing the work and it is unique!

Welcome vhord620 ! This is an awesome board & the members are terrific especially at helping other quilters.
    Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous. You should be very proud of it. Newbie - - - - not from what I can see.
    Dance like no one is watching

Blog Entries
    Welcome! You're going to like it here. It's a friendly place. Make the borders fit the length and width you need to make it do what you want it to do. Use the colors in the panel to guide the border colors. Good luck and again, welcome!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine George View Post
    Welcome from Milwaukee. You don't have to use the same size borders all the way around. Add your narrow borders all the way around to make your 45 inches, then add some pieced lines top and bottom to make your 65 inches. It will look great. Just remember, it's your quilt. Do what you want and have fun.

exactly! welcome and have fun!

Blog Entries
    welcome vhord and you are doing a wonderful job!

Welcome to QB from another oldy but goody quilter. Put what ever borders on your quilt that you think looks good. that's what makes it a personel quilt.. Have fun quilting don't stress over it.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

pal
    Wow, your quilt is gorgeous! The red looks great. I'd use a thin black binding after the next border (the bird fabric). Are you going to embellish at all? You did a wonderful job!
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

a small village about 65 miles north of NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by vhord620 View Post
    anyone experienced with fabric panels? I bought a birdhouse panel 30 x 40" and dont know how to add to it for a small (approx 45 x 65) quilt. I consider adding wider top and bottom borders than the side borders. I have matching printed fabric and several solid colors I can use. Would it look too out of porportion? I've used pencil and paper to try making a design and it always comes out wider than I want if I use same size borders all around....I'd truly appreciate your help.

I'm a 70 yr old newbie and dont have a clue on putting colors and patterns together.
    Welcome!

Check out some of the pictures posted for the Round Robins in the Members Swap section - that should give you lots of ideas of how various people added borders to a center - someone creates a center or sends a fabric panel, the next person adds a border, then the 3rd person adds a second border ... really interesting, there are so many ideas and pictures, it's sure to fire you up, and like everyone has said, the borders don't have to be the same size on the sides as on the top/bottom, as long as they play together - like feline fanatic's trees - if she had used the same trees for the top and bottom as on the sides, the top & bottom would be taller, while the sides are skinny, so if trees were 5" tall and 3" wide, top and bottom would be maybe 6", with border background and the sides would be 4" - there's lots of ways to get what you want. Show us pictures when you can.
    He who cuts his own wood is warmed twice, but she who makes her own quilt is warmed forever - SLR 11/7/2011

Thanks feline fanatic, your picture cleared up a problem for me! I have a quilt with tulips and I put it together too long, now I have to put borders on the sides to make it look right. Now I feel better about it!
    Life is Good!

vhord720, if anyone complains about your quilt, just send it to me and I promise to love and cherish it! LOL
    Life is Good!

Quote Originally Posted by vhord620 View Post
    anyone experienced with fabric panels? I bought a birdhouse panel 30 x 40" and dont know how to add to it for a small (approx 45 x 65) quilt. I consider adding wider top and bottom borders than the side borders. I have matching printed fabric and several solid colors I can use. Would it look too out of porportion? I've used pencil and paper to try making a design and it always comes out wider than I want if I use same size borders all around....I'd truly appreciate your help.
    I'm a 70 yr old newbie and dont have a clue on putting colors and patterns together.
    I'm so glad you asked this question. I too am new to quilting at age 68 and I'm glad to "meet" someone else who got a late start.
    jean

I don't like square quilts so I added "migrating geese" to the top and bottom of one to add length then put on the borders. It turned out really cool. Name:  #139 Geese in a Knot.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  1.08 MBBecause you have a bird themed panel the migrating geese would be fun to add. If you can't find the directions let me know and I'll see what I can do to get them to you.
    OCD in the OC

Hi I am 70 too, and consider myself an advanced beginner. I sure hope you enjoy this adventure as much as I do. I am the same as the others, a narrow border on all sides and then any size for the borders to make your borders look good to yourself. Oh yes,don't be afraid of the colors either, they will look find, but if you look at the selvages they have the colors that are in the fabric and sometimes that helps.
    Jo

Blog Entries
    Your quilt, your rules. I have done in the past is audition my borders with laying out the fabric and sometime I would have to let my mind imagine both sides as I did want to cut anything until I made up my mind. And for the most part, everything turned out better than I could hope. I can't wait to see what you come up with, o please post back to this thread so we are ll in the loop. Good luck, we are all sending you good vibes!
    The Quilting Bear

Blog Entries
    Love this quilt, I have some Santa panels and I need to get some ideas on how to make a top, thanks for sharing

Love the quilt, feline fanatic...I have several panels waiting to be done up, too. Trying to get the borders straight is my problem...I hate squaring up after each border! Sometimes I just go for it, and make sure the last one is straight. To the untrained eye, it never gets noticed! I also agree with feline fanatic...your quilt, your rules!!!

I, too am 70 and a beginner quilter. I recently took a baby panel and made 6" (finished) sides by making (4) four-patch squares, alternaing them with (3) squares that were made from 3-21/2"X61/2" strips of fabric to make a 6" square (finished). Then added a 1/2" border. Turned out cute.

Blog Entries
    I made this Tinkerbell quilt for a friend using a center panel. The pattern was actually a square but I prefer my quilts to be rectangular. So after adding the narrow dark border around the center of the quilt, I added a 4 inch royal blue strip across both the top and bottom, then added the narrow teal border and outer border around all of it. Both she and I were extremely happy with the outcome.

Name:  DSCN2109.JPG
Views: 45
Size:  192.2 KB

Blog Entries
    You can also do varying size and colors borders, it creates interest around a center panel. A hint for you newbie, take the plunge, there are so many ways to do this- post the finished piece.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2