Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help please! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-please-t316780.html)

toogie 11-06-2021 07:29 AM

Help please!

1 Attachment(s)
I need help! I am making a Dresden block quilt but I want to alternate with a Triple Irish Chain. I have never made either one so HELP! -lol- I have my Dresden plates made but not appliqued on my square yet. My Plates measure about 17 inches not on white square yet.Can someone with the quilt program or math knowledge, draw me up a Triple Irish chain to match ?
I looked at quilterscashe.com and there is one there that measures 21 inch. However, their white square ( where my Dresden would have to go) is way too small (8in) since my Dresden is 17 inches. I know I would have to add on those sashing and corner squares so that would have to be figured in to my DP block.
I usually can figure but I thought those with the program could figure a lot faster. I am getting a headache 😩
Here are the blocks I’m trying to make.

Macybaby 11-06-2021 07:52 AM

If you want to keep the same number of squares that make up the block, the large white is equal to a 5x5 unit. Now, you can make the block so that the dresden overlaps the seams and takes up more of the "white" area, or that it stays within the large white block. In that case, those five across would need to measure at least 17", and 17/5 =3.4". So you could round up to 3.5" and then cut each square at 4" and sew together. The large white will be 3.5" x 5, or 17.5" finished cut 18".

This is going to make each "block" 24.5" square, so you might only have "room" for four blocks by five blocks, and that isn't going to make for much of a chain pattern. Maybe save those dresdens for another quilt, and make smaller ones to use with the Irish Chain pattern.

However if you have one Dresden and you want to use this idea for a medallion style quilt, I think that would look really neat.

toogie 11-06-2021 08:03 AM

If I cut my DPlate background sq @ 22.5 , finish at 22 inches and add my little corners and sides @ 2.5, finish at 2.25 each, equals 4.5, that would make my DP block finish at 26.5 (22+2.25+2.25=26.5)

Then I have to have an uneven number of square rows so white would go in center to match my DP block.

if I cut all squares at 2.5 in
11 x 2 (taking away seam allowances)=22
2 on each outer edge top/bottom would be 2.25 each=4.5

so 22+2.25+2.25=26.5

is this correct?

toogie 11-06-2021 08:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Would this work?

toogie 11-06-2021 09:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I tried to edit and take above drawing out but didn’t work
the dots would be same color throughout. I added more white blocks to colored squares too and increased white sash on DP making it 14.5

toogie 11-06-2021 09:10 AM

Macybaby I can’t make my Dresden white square that small because my Dresden is really a little over 17 inches and I don’t want to cut off my points on plate. Would last drawing work , do you think?

sewingpup 11-06-2021 10:17 AM

ummm....as the Dresden blocks will be so big.....could you just alternate them with a different pieced block? or maybe just put all the Dresden's in the center with a border around? I think I would play a bit with these ideas. Actually, I like the idea of maybe putting sashing around the Dresden blocks and letting the Dresden blocks be the star of the show. They will be lovely.

sewingpup 11-06-2021 10:19 AM

oh. Your original Irish chain Idea with be lovely with a smaller block. Maybe one that is embroidered, or appliqued, or maybe in a lovely focus fabric or lovely panel cut apart. I made a cute quilt once of a flower panel where the flowers were cut apart and then placed alternately with pieced blocks.

toogie 11-06-2021 10:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I should have made myself more clear. I did say I’ve never made a Dresden quilt, but I am already sewing my Dresden blocks using the full 8 in Dresden ruler so my Dresden’s are large. The Dresden itself is over 17 in across. This is just placed on a queen below in picture. I realize I have to make more for a queen or King.

toogie 11-06-2021 10:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I’m thinking but after I colored in, I think I may take out another row of colors, all around, to give more white and so the colored squares don’t overpower the Dresden.
I got carried away with coloring Dresden. Mine has 20 blades-lol