Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with quilting suggestions, again! ;0) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-quilting-suggestions-again-%3B0-t194493.html)

Lara122 07-13-2012 05:46 AM

Help with quilting suggestions, again! ;0)

1 Attachment(s)
Hey ladies (and gentlemen).

I need quilting suggestions again. I did LOVE them from last time, but I haven't been able to buy the matching thread yet. Thinking I will use white for this one. It is for a neighbor who is battling cancer, and I need to hurry and get it to her. Her arms are so thin. =(

I do have a walking foot. I will tackle FMQ if I need to - I do have a foot for it that I just have not used yet.

It is not very big, each block is 9.5". no borders, binding will be the dark, back is the pink stripes.

any ideas?

thanks so much!
Lara[ATTACH=CONFIG]348691[/ATTACH]

Lara122 07-13-2012 05:54 AM

Sorry! I should have clarified that I counted a block as four hourglass units, together. ;0)

Tartan 07-13-2012 05:59 AM

SITD would be fine if you are in a hurry. I also think an orange peel design would look good if your FMQ skills can handle it. The orange peel design is where you make a curved line inside each stitching line. (kind of like one bump of a scallop)There are Utube videos on how to do them in a continuous line so you don't have to tie off your threads very often.

Lara122 07-13-2012 06:05 AM

so those lines would be in each 1/2 square triangle right? so one small hourglass block would have two peels/petals? Trying to imagine it, lol!!

Each four-block would have four peels right? not tying off threads would be great! I hope to handbind it . . . ??

thank you!

Patti25314 07-13-2012 07:47 AM

I tried to find a youtube video showing FMQ orange peel, but it wasn't FMQ. I little looking led me to this site:
http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransso...on-a-grid.html
She also has a pattern called dogwood, but the extra line might not work on your project. Can't wait to see finished project!

Holice 07-13-2012 07:58 AM

My suggestion is to SID hortizontally and vertically around each block. Then decide if you want to SID diagonally.
or decide if you want to do a design in the 1/4" square triangle blocks. I'm not sure the more decoratively design is necessary or would be appreciated, especially if you have not done FMQ. If I should do something inside the blocks then I would find a stencil that could be done on the walking foot. There are many gentle curved designs that will work. I could give you some suggestions from one of the on line catalogs if you are interested. since you need to get it done quickly then I would SID.

Bobbielinks 07-13-2012 08:05 AM

If you are quilting on your domestic machine, it would be easy to follow the lines of the pink strip fabric, keeping your stiching against the same side of the pink of each stripe, but stitching with white thread on the white stripe. Add SID around each hourglass block. Just a thought.

Tartan 07-13-2012 08:12 AM

The orange peel design can be made by doing a serpentine design on either side of the seams down the quilt. You then come back down on the other side in the same serpentine design to complete one row of the petals. There is an exmple with pictures on-thegirlwhoquilts.blogspot.com. She has done one on Cham square under love-u- charm-quilt-and-orange-peel-quilting. Have a look at hers and see if that is what you want to do, if not SITD will be very nice too.

Dolphyngyrl 07-13-2012 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5361166)
SITD would be fine if you are in a hurry. I also think an orange peel design would look good if your FMQ skills can handle it. The orange peel design is where you make a curved line inside each stitching line. (kind of like one bump of a scallop)There are Utube videos on how to do them in a continuous line so you don't have to tie off your threads very often.

That's what I was thinking as well. It would really compliment the block

burchquilts 07-13-2012 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 5362664)
That's what I was thinking as well. It would really compliment the block

I think that would be good, too... it would give some movement to the blocks. This is a beautiful quilt & you are so sweet to make it for your neighbor. I'll keep her in my thoughts & prayers.