Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with Seam Rippers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-seam-rippers-t90331.html)

moreland 01-15-2011 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by whinnytoo
the best seam ripper Ive ever had is Havels......... it has replaceable blades and works great. I use it for everything, including frogging out longarm stitching!

That is my favorite as well. I was introduced to them in a class on reverse applique where we used them as cutting tools.

dewie45 01-15-2011 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by whinnytoo
the best seam ripper Ive ever had is Havels......... it has replaceable blades and works great. I use it for everything, including frogging out longarm stitching!

I have one of those. I think I bought for taking out embroidery stitches. It is a little scary at times, and I don't use it when my hands are acting 'sloppy.' I have some nerve problems and get cramping and dropsy on occasion. :( It is a great tool for serious stitch removal though.

bigsister63 01-15-2011 06:07 AM

So interesting ladies. Never thought about different seam rippers. Thanks for the info.

KarenR 01-15-2011 06:07 AM

I just purchased a Clover seam ripper - brown handle for $3.40 from a quilt store. The people in the BOM club say it's the best one out there. So I'm giving it a try.

quiltinghere 01-15-2011 06:11 AM

When I notice that it's getting difficult to 'RIP' the thread on a seam, I know it's time for a new ripper.

The inexpensive ones are fine with me. I prefer a slightly bigger one when I'm at home...they don't get lost that easily.

Ohhh......I do have at least 4 around the house !

Jeanniejo 01-15-2011 06:11 AM

I just use the Walmart ones, I have them everywhere, every room in the house, my purse and most of my totes.

Carol J. 01-15-2011 06:50 AM

For years I used a single edged razor blade for ripping seams and I sewed clothing for the public. Now I use my small Olfa cutter, pull the seam apart as much as I can and touch it and the threads part company with the item. The little white handled cutters that came with my machines take forever, wish I could buy single edge razor blades. Have to be careful no matter which you use, I have cut myself with them many times.

Carol J.

Baloonatic 01-15-2011 06:59 AM

Here's something that a friend shared with me. She went to RiteAid and bought some eyebrow trimmers, they come several to a package. She gave me one and it works like a charm! It has itty bitty tiny teeth on it, no sharp blade or point. The chance of damaging your fabric is vastly decreased.
I hope by telling you this that the price on them won't jump!

Homespun 01-15-2011 07:01 AM

I use an inexpensive one. I use the side with the ball inside so I can watch the sharp end. If you can hold the 2 pieces tight enough, the seam ripper will push right thru quickly.

Baloonatic 01-15-2011 07:03 AM

Could you find single edge razor blades at Freight Express? You might also try upholstery shops, we got them by the boxful (100) till my DH decided he liked the (snap-off blades) box cutters better--and he's even discovered the seam ripper(?!!)