Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HELP!! Straight line machine quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-straight-line-machine-quilting-t223251.html)

Prism99 06-08-2013 12:43 PM

You can do it without a walking foot. It depends somewhat on the machine, as some machines are better than others. No matter what the machine, I highly recommend *heavily* starching both the backing and top before starting. Starch stabilizes the fabric so it is less likely to pucker as you work.

If the quilt is already sandwiched, lay it on the floor on a large flat sheet and do several layers of spray starch on each side, drying layers in-between. A fan helps speed drying of the starch.

bearisgray 06-08-2013 04:01 PM

Lots and lots of pinning - turn it over to make sure everything is smooth on the back before starting.

If it isn't, undo it and make sure it's smooth on the top and bottom.

I found it helped to stitch all the rows the same direction - so if there was any shifting, it shifted all the same way.

sewbizgirl 06-08-2013 05:55 PM

Buy the walking foot!

Jinney 06-08-2013 06:50 PM

As long as the sandwich is really secure you are ok, I have never used a walking foot, even the king size quilts come out fine, no puckers or anything.

ontheriver 06-09-2013 03:50 AM

Sent you PM.

AZ Jane 06-09-2013 05:36 AM

Check prices locally but google it first, $30 seems a lot.

justflyingin 06-09-2013 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 6110946)
One point . A friend used normal foot and did all her rows t to bottom. The fabric shifted and creased. Make sure you go top to bottom then bottom to top it smooths out.

Good advice.

Go ahead and try it...I did several with my simple Pfaff before I got a machine that had a walking foot.

catmcclure 06-09-2013 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 6110946)
One point . A friend used normal foot and did all her rows t to bottom. The fabric shifted and creased. Make sure you go top to bottom then bottom to top it smooths out. Takes ages to unpick if you do it wrong.

I just got through unpicking a baby quilt for the second time. Bit the bullet and took my machine to the shop. It should work better now - the feed dogs weren't working properly.

janeknapp 06-09-2013 07:41 AM

If you try this without a walking foot ... and have taped the three layers to a table as you layered them to be sure all wrinkles are out and have pinned closely (maybe every three inches) and adjusted the tension on the presser foot ... "pin" the fabric together with your stiletto one inch in front of the needle as though walking the stiletto down the stitch line as you sew. This should help to keep the fabric from creeping. You should have a sharp stiletto which will go down to the bottom layer. Just a suggestion...

ckcowl 06-09-2013 08:48 AM

nope- you do not absolutely need a walking foot- some of us have expensive walking feet & still choose to seldom if ever use them- I quilt a lot- with my domestic machine & pretty much never use my walking foot- I hate that thing- drives me crazy- bought it 8 or 9 years ago when a class instructor insisted it was a necessity...used it for that class & put it away- I have friends/family who once In a while come by & work on a project- it is there for them if they want to use it- like most * specialty tools* sometimes they are nice to have- seldom are they really necessary- unless you personally find you can not do without it...we each have those *personal items* that we feel we can not do without- but there are as many people who do with out the same item all the time