Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! Straight line machine quilting

HELP!! Straight line machine quilting

Do I absolutely need a walking foot to SID or straight line quilt on my little Brother machine?
    I don't have a huge budget, but I would really like to do some straight line quilting on the chevron baby quilt I just made. I don't have any of the fancy feet, just a 1/4in, zipper, and blind hem foot.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Nope. You can do it. I've done it on a little Brother machine from Walmart with no walking foot. My first quilts were done that way. A walking foot makes it easier, but give it a go without one. Go slowly.

When the time comes to buy one, you can get a generic one for those little Brothers for about $25 in many places.

Oh! and should my feed dogs be up or down if I'm not using a walking foot?

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Feed dogs up. Make a little practice sandwich so you can see if you need to change any tension settings. I usually do not need to change any, but you never know.

Set you stitch length longer than you normally would. Play with that a bit on your practice piece, too, so you can find a length you like. Maybe somewhere close to 3.

Feed dogs up! The walking foot basically puts feed dogs on top and bottom of your material. It just helps control the "bulk" of the quilt. Go ahead and try without, sometimes I forget to put it on and SITD just fine. Have fun.
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

Blog Entries
    One point . A friend used normal foot and did all her rows t to bottom. The fabric shifted and creased. Make sure you go top to bottom then bottom to top it smooths out. Takes ages to unpick if you do it wrong.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    To me, the frustration was not worth it at all. It might depend on the machine and the batting too. When I used my old machine I bought a generic walking foot for it that was only about $20 or maybe less.

No but you can find a walking foot at decent price, consider it an investment because they come in handy

http://www.kenssewingcenter.com/brot...t-p-31378.html
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Make sure you have your quilt pinned securely about every hand print without a walking foot. As others have said before, the walking foot is a feed dog on top since the batting makes what you are sewing a lot fatter. And yes, save your pennies and purchase a generic walking foot for your machine. Good Luck. Take your time and keep checking the back for any puckers as I have always call them.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    You can loosen the pressure on the presser foot if your machine has that capability - and I only know of one that doesn't. You need the feeddogs to move the fabric forward, but if you loosen the pressure to where the quilt moves but isn't compressed, it may help alleviate shifting on both the top and back. I don't need a walking for my favorite quilting machine.

Blog Entries
    You can do it without a walking foot. It depends somewhat on the machine, as some machines are better than others. No matter what the machine, I highly recommend *heavily* starching both the backing and top before starting. Starch stabilizes the fabric so it is less likely to pucker as you work.

If the quilt is already sandwiched, lay it on the floor on a large flat sheet and do several layers of spray starch on each side, drying layers in-between. A fan helps speed drying of the starch.

Power Poster
    Lots and lots of pinning - turn it over to make sure everything is smooth on the back before starting.

If it isn't, undo it and make sure it's smooth on the top and bottom.

I found it helped to stitch all the rows the same direction - so if there was any shifting, it shifted all the same way.

Buy the walking foot!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

As long as the sandwich is really secure you are ok, I have never used a walking foot, even the king size quilts come out fine, no puckers or anything.

Sent you PM.
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

Check prices locally but google it first, $30 seems a lot.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    One point . A friend used normal foot and did all her rows t to bottom. The fabric shifted and creased. Make sure you go top to bottom then bottom to top it smooths out.
    Good advice.

Go ahead and try it...I did several with my simple Pfaff before I got a machine that had a walking foot.

Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    One point . A friend used normal foot and did all her rows t to bottom. The fabric shifted and creased. Make sure you go top to bottom then bottom to top it smooths out. Takes ages to unpick if you do it wrong.

I just got through unpicking a baby quilt for the second time. Bit the bullet and took my machine to the shop. It should work better now - the feed dogs weren't working properly.

If you try this without a walking foot ... and have taped the three layers to a table as you layered them to be sure all wrinkles are out and have pinned closely (maybe every three inches) and adjusted the tension on the presser foot ... "pin" the fabric together with your stiletto one inch in front of the needle as though walking the stiletto down the stitch line as you sew. This should help to keep the fabric from creeping. You should have a sharp stiletto which will go down to the bottom layer. Just a suggestion...

Blog Entries
    nope- you do not absolutely need a walking foot- some of us have expensive walking feet & still choose to seldom if ever use them- I quilt a lot- with my domestic machine & pretty much never use my walking foot- I hate that thing- drives me crazy- bought it 8 or 9 years ago when a class instructor insisted it was a necessity...used it for that class & put it away- I have friends/family who once In a while come by & work on a project- it is there for them if they want to use it- like most * specialty tools* sometimes they are nice to have- seldom are they really necessary- unless you personally find you can not do without it...we each have those *personal items* that we feel we can not do without- but there are as many people who do with out the same item all the time
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

You can find a walking foot for about 12.00. I think it's an investment that you would be wise to make. Jmho, Gina

Las Vegas, NV - transplanted from Southeastern PA
    Check out Amazon.com for a walking foot. Very good prices. The walking foot helps feed all the layers and will be well worth the investment.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, WINE IN THE OTHER, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

A walking foot is a luxury imo, cos we all know it's not cheap. But definitely not impossible to sew straight lines using a regular foot. Sometimes I'm too lazy to change foots in between different sewing projects and I've used a regular foot to sew on my quilt sandwich. Gives the same results too!

Blog Entries
    Buy the best walking foot for your machine. You won't regret the cost but you will regret the wasted money buying a low quality one. The low quality generic ones I have used will not feed evenly, are flimsy and break. Look on Ebay or at online sewing machine parts shops.

This book is just for quilting with a walking foot. It's the best I've found: One Line at a Time by Charoltte Warr Andersen
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I have a walking foot but I don't use it any more. I have better luck using a darning foot, set stitch length to "zero" and just "free motion" the straight line quilting. Love this method and probably won't ever use my walking foot again! Takes a little practice to achieve even stitch length but it is quite easy. Once you get the "feel" and the "rhythm" - you'll love it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast