Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Straight line quilting on machine, do you backstitch?

Straight line quilting on machine, do you backstitch?

I am getting ready to straight line quilt a TATW on my machine. Just want to do edge to edge straight lines. There is no border, will only be binding. I am guessing you do not backstitch anywhere and that the binding is what eventually holds it all together, is this correct? Happy Holidays form Ohio!

Blog Entries
    In this instance I do not backstitch. Have fun!
    Judith

Blog Entries
    TATW? Drawing a blank here.

I do not bother to backstitch when the quilting will be caught in the binding.

I do backstitch even at the end of the line. It helps keep those edges from loosening up. Sometimes I just reduce the stitch lenght to 1.5 for a few stitches instead of doing a backstitch. The problem with that is if you need to rip the stitching out, those short stitches are a lot of work to undo.
    Penny

I do the same as Penny - reduce the stitch length at the beginning (and end).

PS - I have no clue what 'TATW' is either! TMA (too many abbreviations)
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

I do not backstitch either. And if your seams are separating (because of no borders) that can be solved by stitching around your quilt top about an 1/8" from the edge first. (That will then be covered by the binding too)

Trip Around the World... and no I don't backstitch when quilting straight lines edge to edge. Have fun!

I also do not back stitch when my quilting stops and starts past the outer quilt edges. If I have a thread break or run out of bobbin thread in the middle of the quilt I do back stitch or tie off and bury thread tails.

When I start to quilt, in the middle part of the quilt, I pull the thread to the top and when done, tie the two threads together in a knot and bury them. At the edges where I will have binding, I do a 2 stitch back and forth and cut it off. It will be hidden under the binding.
    Busy in Ohio

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Start your line of stitching off the edge of the quilt about 1/2 and inch into the extra fabric of the backing/batting and you won't need to backstitch. I never do.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I guess I am the obsessive one here. I tie off all my beginning and ending threads and bury the knot between the layers.

i have learned the hard way to sew around the entire edge of the quilt before quilting on my machine. The seam ends tend to come out all by themselves, especially the quilt has many, many pieces. I really stink at hand sewing of any kind...
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
    i have learned the hard way to sew around the entire edge of the quilt before quilting on my machine. The seam ends tend to come out all by themselves, especially the quilt has many, many pieces. I really stink at hand sewing of any kind...
    This is what I am so afraid of because the parts are small and paper pieced with whip sitch pressed open. It is good to know so many don't backstitch! I think in this case I may run around the edge once because it may be more fragile than some. Thank you all! Merry Christmas!
    Last edited by Susan7639; 12-21-2014 at 04:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Susan7639 View Post
    This is what I am so afraid of because the parts are small and paper pieced with whip sitch pressed open. It is good to know so many don't backstitch! I think in this case I may run around the edge once because it may be more fragile than some. Thank you all! Merry Christmas!
    Ah.... well that's a different question Once a top is complete I stay stitch all around the outside edge just inside the " mark...you don't want your seams to start opening along the edges. Then I make the quilt sandwich and start to quilt.

I don't backstitch. I simply hold the fabric tight so it won't feed and sew a few tiny stitches in the same place and then turn it loose and sew.That locks the seam so it won't ravel out.

Blog Entries
    It must be the time of day, (early morning) too much coffee/or not enough Just had this mental picture of you laying the quilt on the floor and running around the edge. Sorry

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I don't backstitch if the stitching is going to be in the seam allowance where the binding is attached. If stitching ends someplace else I tie the two ends of thread off and pull the threads through the bat a distance and clip off.

I never back stitch.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    Ah.... well that's a different question Once a top is complete I stay stitch all around the outside edge just inside the " mark...you don't want your seams to start opening along the edges. Then I make the quilt sandwich and start to quilt.
    I agree and always do this.
    Then again, I *have* to do this because it takes forever for me to get around to doing the quilting as I'm the sort of quilter who enjoys seeing how all the colors work together more than finishing a project.....there are many great artists who left work unfinished and nobody denies their genius!!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

If not going all the way to the edge, I do back stitch.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I always back stitch. Just habit I guess.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I also backstitch, my machine will place a tack at the beginning and end of a seam and it keeps me from having loose ends.
    Jeri

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    I agree and always do this.
    Then again, I *have* to do this because it takes forever for me to get around to doing the quilting as I'm the sort of quilter who enjoys seeing how all the colors work together more than finishing a project.....there are many great artists who left work unfinished and nobody denies their genius!!

Jan in VA
    Jan! I am so happy to hear you say this! I have several friends that we get together to quilt...sometimes we actually make the same little wallhanging! I have been quilting off and on for 30 years, most of them only a year or two. They often are rushing to get it done....sometimes at the loss of technique. They are always giving me a hard time about not finishing projects. But I do! It's just that sometimes I like mine to sit awhile and I may change colors, design or borders etc as I am "creating". To me it is the process I so enjoy! They do not understand that and think I'm a little off!
    sorry I hijacked the thread! To answer, I do not back tack when I'm running it off the edges because I know my edge finish will take care of that.
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

I backstitch beginning and end on everything, just part of my OCD I guess!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Me too Jan