Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Securing Ends Without a Backstitch >

Securing Ends Without a Backstitch

Securing Ends Without a Backstitch

Old 11-04-2014, 01:02 PM

Default Securing Ends Without a Backstitch

I did a little sewing today with my 66 and as soon as I started I stopped and wondered what to do about securing the threads at the beginning and end with no reverse. I just lifted the presser foot and backed up the fabric a bit and began sewing again. What is the proper way to secure the ends? I'm full of questions lately!
Old 11-04-2014, 01:35 PM
Banned

The method I use is to hold the fabric in place for a stitch or two. (I had to learn to run with my presser foot tension a bit lower that I was used to)
Old 11-04-2014, 01:36 PM

I usually pull one thread through to the same side as the other thread and tie a knot when I need to secure the ends.
Rodney
Old 11-04-2014, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I usually pull one thread through to the same side as the other thread and tie a knot when I need to secure the ends.
Rodney
I do this too. You get really good at doing it quickly. Just have a pin or needle handy.
Your options with no reverse as I know it are:
* lift the foot, back up the fabric and sew it again
* with the needle in the fabric, lift the foot and turn the fabric around and sew a few stitches
* pull the wrong side thread through and tie a knot (what Rodney and I do)
* Steve's method of holding the fabric (I imagine this might cause the feed dog to fray the fabric)
Old 11-04-2014, 03:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
* Steve's method of holding the fabric (I imagine this might cause the feed dog to fray the fabric)
only if the pressure is set too high
Old 11-05-2014, 04:16 AM

I would just lift the presser foot with needle down, flip the fabric around and sew off the end of the fabric.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Sarabela View Post
I did a little sewing today with my 66 and as soon as I started I stopped and wondered what to do about securing the threads at the beginning and end with no reverse. I just lifted the presser foot and backed up the fabric a bit and began sewing again. What is the proper way to secure the ends? I'm full of questions lately!
I have a Kenmore that is missing the reverse knob. So I secure the beginning and ending stitches by turning the stitch regulator to near zero, take a stitch or two and then return to it to the stitch length I want. When I get to nearly the end, I repeat the process. Seems to work just fine for me. I am not too fond of the reverse knob because it seems I can never get the reverse seam to be completely on top of the original seam and then I have two really close together seams.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Blackberry View Post
I have a Kenmore that is missing the reverse knob. So I secure the beginning and ending stitches by turning the stitch regulator to near zero, take a stitch or two and then return to it to the stitch length I want. When I get to nearly the end, I repeat the process. Seems to work just fine for me. I am not too fond of the reverse knob because it seems I can never get the reverse seam to be completely on top of the original seam and then I have two really close together seams.
I have a few vintage sewing manuals, and this is what they recommend doing.

I hate the "reverese" button on my main machine. It's right next to the stitch length right up at top. I don't like taking my eyes off my needle, and there have been many times I've reached without looking and hit the stitch length button instead. And you have to hold it down to continue to go back, so instead of going backwards, I get a large stitch instead! The stitch length - the longer you hold it down the longer the stitch you get (up to the max)

Sometimes electronics aren't all that fun. I'd much rather have a lever I could move back and forth.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

I borrowed (played)with a friends Kenmore where the reverse was not working. We just lifted the presser foot, backed the fabric a short space and did about 4 stitches. She does this often. She has had it in repair couple times and that is the only problem she has ever had with it.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Sarabela View Post
That's how I do it. Only 2 of my treadles have a reverse.