Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Securing Ends Without a Backstitch >

Securing Ends Without a Backstitch

Securing Ends Without a Backstitch

Old 11-04-2014, 01:02 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 178
Default Securing Ends Without a Backstitch

I did a little sewing today with my 66 and as soon as I started I stopped and wondered what to do about securing the threads at the beginning and end with no reverse. I just lifted the presser foot and backed up the fabric a bit and began sewing again. What is the proper way to secure the ends? I'm full of questions lately!
Sarabela is offline  
Old 11-04-2014, 01:35 PM
  #2  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Lorenzo, CA
Posts: 5,361
Default

The method I use is to hold the fabric in place for a stitch or two. (I had to learn to run with my presser foot tension a bit lower that I was used to)
SteveH is offline  
Old 11-04-2014, 01:36 PM
  #3  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Centralia, WA, USA
Posts: 4,890
Default

I usually pull one thread through to the same side as the other thread and tie a knot when I need to secure the ends.
Rodney
Rodney is offline  
Old 11-04-2014, 01:46 PM
  #4  
Super Member
 
manicmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 1,851
Default

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I usually pull one thread through to the same side as the other thread and tie a knot when I need to secure the ends.
Rodney
I do this too. You get really good at doing it quickly. Just have a pin or needle handy.
Your options with no reverse as I know it are:
* lift the foot, back up the fabric and sew it again
* with the needle in the fabric, lift the foot and turn the fabric around and sew a few stitches
* pull the wrong side thread through and tie a knot (what Rodney and I do)
* Steve's method of holding the fabric (I imagine this might cause the feed dog to fray the fabric)
manicmike is offline  
Old 11-04-2014, 03:05 PM
  #5  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Lorenzo, CA
Posts: 5,361
Default

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
* Steve's method of holding the fabric (I imagine this might cause the feed dog to fray the fabric)
only if the pressure is set too high
SteveH is offline  
Old 11-05-2014, 04:16 AM
  #6  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 5,557
Default

I would just lift the presser foot with needle down, flip the fabric around and sew off the end of the fabric.
NJ Quilter is offline  
Old 11-05-2014, 06:14 AM
  #7  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 1,040
Default

Originally Posted by Sarabela View Post
I did a little sewing today with my 66 and as soon as I started I stopped and wondered what to do about securing the threads at the beginning and end with no reverse. I just lifted the presser foot and backed up the fabric a bit and began sewing again. What is the proper way to secure the ends? I'm full of questions lately!
I have a Kenmore that is missing the reverse knob. So I secure the beginning and ending stitches by turning the stitch regulator to near zero, take a stitch or two and then return to it to the stitch length I want. When I get to nearly the end, I repeat the process. Seems to work just fine for me. I am not too fond of the reverse knob because it seems I can never get the reverse seam to be completely on top of the original seam and then I have two really close together seams.
Blackberry is offline  
Old 11-05-2014, 06:25 AM
  #8  
Super Member
 
Macybaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 7,924
Default

Originally Posted by Blackberry View Post
I have a Kenmore that is missing the reverse knob. So I secure the beginning and ending stitches by turning the stitch regulator to near zero, take a stitch or two and then return to it to the stitch length I want. When I get to nearly the end, I repeat the process. Seems to work just fine for me. I am not too fond of the reverse knob because it seems I can never get the reverse seam to be completely on top of the original seam and then I have two really close together seams.
I have a few vintage sewing manuals, and this is what they recommend doing.

I hate the "reverese" button on my main machine. It's right next to the stitch length right up at top. I don't like taking my eyes off my needle, and there have been many times I've reached without looking and hit the stitch length button instead. And you have to hold it down to continue to go back, so instead of going backwards, I get a large stitch instead! The stitch length - the longer you hold it down the longer the stitch you get (up to the max)

Sometimes electronics aren't all that fun. I'd much rather have a lever I could move back and forth.
Macybaby is offline  
Old 11-05-2014, 06:32 AM
  #9  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Corpus Christi, Tx.
Posts: 16,105
Default

I borrowed (played)with a friends Kenmore where the reverse was not working. We just lifted the presser foot, backed the fabric a short space and did about 4 stitches. She does this often. She has had it in repair couple times and that is the only problem she has ever had with it.
tessagin is offline  
Old 11-05-2014, 11:03 AM
  #10  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Round Rock,Texas
Posts: 6,135
Default

Originally Posted by Sarabela View Post
I did a little sewing today with my 66 and as soon as I started I stopped and wondered what to do about securing the threads at the beginning and end with no reverse. I just lifted the presser foot and backed up the fabric a bit and began sewing again. What is the proper way to secure the ends? I'm full of questions lately!
That's how I do it. Only 2 of my treadles have a reverse.
purplefiend is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ruby2shoes
Main
16
02-19-2018 01:18 PM
indymta
Main
16
01-27-2015 04:46 PM
Susan7639
Main
24
12-23-2014 04:10 PM
weezie
Main
5
08-21-2012 05:31 PM
EagarBeez
Main
72
01-19-2011 02:14 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter