Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-t205080.html)

SamanthaTheQuilter 11-04-2012 10:52 AM

Help!!

Hello everyone, I am new on here, and to quilting. I just finished my first quilt and I loved every minute of it! However, I ran into a problem after washing it for the first time. I made a jelly roll quilt for my first quilt and then added a border to it to make it a little bigger. I just did a simple criss-cross pattern for the quilting. After I washed it, some of the stitches from the jelly rolls frayed and came undone between the quilting (which are about 3 inches apart).

I am wondering what would be the easiest and most efficient way to fix this problem so that way I can start to enjoy my quilt. I really would appreciate any help anyone can offer me! Thank you!

omaluvs2quilt 11-04-2012 11:00 AM

Do you have enough fabric to re-tuck and maybe topstitch with a decorative stitch in a matching thread?

LyndaOH 11-04-2012 11:00 AM

Congratulations on your first quilt! An easy solution for the frayed spots is to add applique to cover them.

The more important question is why it happened. Did you sew with a 1/4" seam or maybe a little less than that?

lynnie 11-04-2012 11:03 AM

Never had that prob.
how about zig zaging over every seam, maybe use a fancy stitch.
its all part of the design...you ment to do it.

Welcone from long island ny

SamanthaTheQuilter 11-04-2012 11:04 AM

I sewed it with a 1/4 inch seam. I think what happened is just some of the jelly roll strips were starting to fray without my noticing and I maybe got too close to them in the first place? I can see where the gaps are that that is what happened but it only happened in a few spots so i'm assuming that is what happened.

I don't have any more of the fabric to cover it so I would either need to just use different fabric or stitch over/around it somehow to fix the problems without it being super obvious that I messed up!

SamanthaTheQuilter 11-04-2012 11:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]374347[/ATTACH] Here is a picture of what i'm talking about in case I didn't explain it very well!

ragquilter 11-04-2012 12:02 PM

[QUOTE=lynnie;5634474]Never had that prob.
how about zig zaging over every seam, maybe use a fancy stitch.
its all part of the design...you ment to do it.
I think you're right just to ensure there are no other spots that come out with continued use and washing. Covering the spots with appliques will help and they don't need to match, just blend. You can buy ready made or make something up, even yoyos would work. Welcome to the board and congrats on your first quilt.

Gladys 11-04-2012 12:10 PM

Congratulations on your first quilt. Remember it doesn't have to be perfect. If it were me, I'd just try to slip stitch the seams together and applique something over them. Good luck. Let us know what you do.

Buckeye Rose 11-04-2012 12:10 PM

It looks like there isn't any quilting in the area where the fabric frayed. It allows the fabric to move and pull during washing. I would tuck under the places that have frayed and do some topstitching to secure it. Then I would do more quilting all over....maybe using a deco stitch along the seams, they certainly won't pull loose then! I use a deco stitch along the seams all the time, gives it a crazy quilt look.

cwessel47 11-04-2012 12:16 PM

I would hand stitch those oopsies closed again. Just tighten the seam up a bit, make sure you are sewing through intact material. In that a big a project it won't be very noticeable. The idea is to basically applique the top strip to the bottom strip. Then if you want to go crazy with fancy stitches on top - go for it! And remember - we all make mistakes, that's how we learn what NOT to do. Keep checking to make sure the strip on the bottom hasn't shifted while you are sewing.