Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help!!

Help!!

Hello everyone, I am new on here, and to quilting. I just finished my first quilt and I loved every minute of it! However, I ran into a problem after washing it for the first time. I made a jelly roll quilt for my first quilt and then added a border to it to make it a little bigger. I just did a simple criss-cross pattern for the quilting. After I washed it, some of the stitches from the jelly rolls frayed and came undone between the quilting (which are about 3 inches apart).

I am wondering what would be the easiest and most efficient way to fix this problem so that way I can start to enjoy my quilt. I really would appreciate any help anyone can offer me! Thank you!

Do you have enough fabric to re-tuck and maybe topstitch with a decorative stitch in a matching thread?

Congratulations on your first quilt! An easy solution for the frayed spots is to add applique to cover them.

The more important question is why it happened. Did you sew with a 1/4" seam or maybe a little less than that?

Blog Entries
    Never had that prob.
    how about zig zaging over every seam, maybe use a fancy stitch.
    its all part of the design...you ment to do it.

Welcone from long island ny

I sewed it with a 1/4 inch seam. I think what happened is just some of the jelly roll strips were starting to fray without my noticing and I maybe got too close to them in the first place? I can see where the gaps are that that is what happened but it only happened in a few spots so i'm assuming that is what happened.

I don't have any more of the fabric to cover it so I would either need to just use different fabric or stitch over/around it somehow to fix the problems without it being super obvious that I messed up!

Name:  quilt.jpg
Views: 2009
Size:  157.1 KB Here is a picture of what i'm talking about in case I didn't explain it very well!

[QUOTE=lynnie;5634474]Never had that prob.
    how about zig zaging over every seam, maybe use a fancy stitch.
    its all part of the design...you ment to do it.
    I think you're right just to ensure there are no other spots that come out with continued use and washing. Covering the spots with appliques will help and they don't need to match, just blend. You can buy ready made or make something up, even yoyos would work. Welcome to the board and congrats on your first quilt.

Congratulations on your first quilt. Remember it doesn't have to be perfect. If it were me, I'd just try to slip stitch the seams together and applique something over them. Good luck. Let us know what you do.

It looks like there isn't any quilting in the area where the fabric frayed. It allows the fabric to move and pull during washing. I would tuck under the places that have frayed and do some topstitching to secure it. Then I would do more quilting all over....maybe using a deco stitch along the seams, they certainly won't pull loose then! I use a deco stitch along the seams all the time, gives it a crazy quilt look.

I would hand stitch those oopsies closed again. Just tighten the seam up a bit, make sure you are sewing through intact material. In that a big a project it won't be very noticeable. The idea is to basically applique the top strip to the bottom strip. Then if you want to go crazy with fancy stitches on top - go for it! And remember - we all make mistakes, that's how we learn what NOT to do. Keep checking to make sure the strip on the bottom hasn't shifted while you are sewing.

Thank you all for the feedback!! I think I have a pretty good idea of what to do now and I defnitely feel better about my oopsie! Do you guys think I should add some more quilting so they are closer together or if I just do some sort of stitch over all seams that would be enough?

Blog Entries
    Contgrats on your first quilt!!
    You can also get some light weight knit fusible interfacing. Tuck it into the quilt, with the fusible side up, then pin the fabric in place, as the other posts directed. USE A PIECE OF COOKING PARCHMENT< OR A NON STICK PRESSING SHEET on top of your quilt, then press according to the instructions for that interfacing. This will stablize the fabric. I would then stitch over it. Be sure to put something between the iron and the quilt or you might get stuff on your iron.
    I would do sort of a wiggle stitch over the seams if you think that there may be additional areas that had a slightly too small seam. Just a wave that crossed back and forth over the seams.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SamanthaTheQuilter View Post
    Name:  quilt.jpg
Views: 2009
Size:  157.1 KB Here is a picture of what i'm talking about in case I didn't explain it very well!
    On my computer this fabric looks like flannel. If it is, that may be the problem as flannel usually frays more than cotton quilting fabric. I'd follow the suggestion for using the fusible and then using a decorative top stitch. If you use flannel again use a wider seam allowance.

I agree with Buckeye Rose, you really need to quilt more. If you read the quilt batting package, it will tell you the maximum distance apart that your quilting can be. Most of the 70\30 and 80\20 cotton blends need to be quilted 4-6 inches apart. Some brands will let you quilt farther apart than that. I really like the colors of your quilt and it should last you a good long time with a little more quilting.

The fabric is not flannel.
    The quilting is only 4 or 5 inches apart at the very widest parts too...

Hi Samantha, - it looked like flannel to me too so I was going to say that flannel naturally frays more, but the fix would be the same. Follow the advice of PaperPrincess with the fusible tucked under the fabric, and then if you have a decorative stitch on your machine, topstitch along the seams. I think it will add a nice decorative element and look like you planned it. Congratulations on your first quilt - I love the pink fabric with reindeer.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Thanks again everyone. As I said I'm new to this so I really appreciate all of the tips and advice! Will the fusible just kind of act like glue and hold the fabric down? I'm not really familiar with it....

I hven't read through the whole thread so don't know what the others suggested. I had this problem once and someone suggested that when I put my two pieces of material together to start sewing my 1/4' seam and I make sure that I can see my botton material. Not by much but see it so that it isn't slipping under the top material. I do that now and it works very well.
    Marilyn

Quote Originally Posted by cwessel47 View Post
    I would hand stitch those oopsies closed again. Just tighten the seam up a bit, make sure you are sewing through intact material. In that a big a project it won't be very noticeable. The idea is to basically applique the top strip to the bottom strip. Then if you want to go crazy with fancy stitches on top - go for it! And remember - we all make mistakes, that's how we learn what NOT to do. Keep checking to make sure the strip on the bottom hasn't shifted while you are sewing.
    And IF the fabric seems to be likely to fray more, you could treat the edges with "Fray-Check" before restitching them.
    God Bless,
    Rachel

amh
    I have had this same problem with a flannel baby quilt. Although I purchased the fabric at a reputable quilting store I did note that the weave of the fabric was quite loose, and should have known better than to just do a 1/4 inch seam allowance. I have learned my lesson and make sure that the weave of the fabrics I use is a good tight weave.

For mine there was no solution, but I sewed beside each and every seam and and he dragged it around till it fell apart. I think it was the fabric, not the quilter which caused the problem.

Congratulations on the completion of your first quilt. Sorry it didn't hold up really well. Looks very pretty.

amh

You could close those seams with a ladder stitch. Make sure that the new stitching is a quarter inch from the edge. Nobody but you (and us) will ever know you had a little problem.

Also make sure that you use firm material (tightly woven) and not loosely woven too soft fabric that can pull out from the stitching. Your photo looks like you perhaps did not use a 1/4" seam. If you use such fabric again, make your seam deeper. Ditto sewing them down where they have raveled and then use a decorative stitch to make sure they do not come undone again. Could you glue the fabrics down while you attempt to sew them down once more? Good luck and show us what you do so we can learn from you.

I've had this happen. What I did was gently tuck one side (seam) over and lightly hand stitched down. No one but me knew about it!

Blog Entries
    I have repaired old tops before just using a needle and thread and a blind stitch. You can do it.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

Be sure and use fraycheck before stitching so it doesn't keep pulling out! Should be fine either stitching by hand or machine. Happy quilting!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast