Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! Top thread keeps breaking! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-top-thread-keeps-breaking-t21467.html)

butterflywing 06-17-2009 04:32 PM

as far as i know, the bobbin case is always metal. you're right about that. the bobbin case fits into a .....hmmm .... round space with a spindle poking up or out in the center, depending on whether you have a front loader or top loader. that round, empty space is called a chase, (it has another name that escapes me right now). the bobbin case rolls back and forth in there, hooking the upper thread to make the stitches. the chase on many newer machines are made of metal/plastic combos. those are the ones that Ernie the Repair Guy (my hero!) says should be loaded with only plastic bobbins. if the chase is made of all metal, then the bobbin should be metal.

littlehud 06-17-2009 06:16 PM

Hip hip hurray. Glad you found the problem and all is well. Have fun sewing.

Mousie 06-17-2009 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
as far as i know, the bobbin case is always metal. you're right about that. the bobbin case fits into a .....hmmm .... round space with a spindle poking up or out in the center, depending on whether you have a front loader or top loader. that round, empty space is called a chase, (it has another name that escapes me right now). the bobbin case rolls back and forth in there, hooking the upper thread to make the stitches. the chase on many newer machines are made of metal/plastic combos. those are the ones that Ernie the Repair Guy (my hero!) says should be loaded with only plastic bobbins. if the chase is made of all metal, then the bobbin should be metal.

race? B?

k3n 06-18-2009 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
:oops: I always tell a customer that a universal bobbin is not advisable for most machines.....They are made to specs that are not close enough to make a consistant stitch on touchy machines.....Save your money and purchase the correct bobbins, it will save you in aggrivation.

I've just emailed the company that supplied the machine and asked to order some bobbins made for it. It's not easy to know as it's a machine the shop had made as an 'anniversary' model - it doesn't have a brand name.

Thanks again all for the support and advice; my DH pointed out that HE suggested I change the bobbin but that I apparently pay more attention to you guys than to him! :D

k3n 06-18-2009 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy

race? B?

Yup - I call it a bobbin race. And mine's metal, and I must be psychic because when I emailed the supplier, I asked for METAL bobbins - don't ask me why, I always bought plastic before, maybe I'm not such a complete idiot after all? :D And Susie, NOT using universal makes complete sense when you think about it - DH says it's like an amphibious car - no good as a car OR a boat! :wink:

butterflywing 06-18-2009 10:51 AM

race? B?

yes. thank you. word retrieval thing.

butterflywing 06-18-2009 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by k3n

race? B?

Yup - I call it a bobbin race. And mine's metal, and I must be psychic because when I emailed the supplier, I asked for METAL bobbins - don't ask me why, I always bought plastic before, maybe I'm not such a complete idiot after all? :D And Susie, NOT using universal makes complete sense when you think about it - DH says it's like an amphibious car - no good as a car OR a boat! :wink:

thank you also. yes, the other name is race. and of course you aren't a COMPLETE idiot.

k3n 06-19-2009 12:23 AM

LOL BW!

Mumzbear 06-22-2009 05:53 AM

this happened to me...a big hunk of lint was caught in the tension Hubby is good with machines so fixed it. Dental floss sounds like a winner!

k3n 06-22-2009 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mumzbear
this happened to me...a big hunk of lint was caught in the tension Hubby is good with machines so fixed it. Dental floss sounds like a winner!

Thanks Mumzbear - It's fine since I went back to its own metal bobbin and I've ordered some proper spares - it just didn't like those plastic universal ones! I'm also really assiduous about cleaning around the bobbin race and feed dogs with my little brush - only this morning I oiled the race! I didn't look after my old machine that well because it was never that finickety - I guess this one needs and deserves a little more love and attention! :D