Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with vintage quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-vintage-quilt-t272586.html)

tallchick 11-23-2015 10:34 AM

Help with vintage quilt

3 Attachment(s)
I have a wonderful post lady who has given me several of her mothers quilts and tops over the years and she recently gave me 3 more today. She did the self binding method of back to front and a piece was either missed or???? Either way I would love to correct it so I can wash it and use it. The top itself is all hand stitched and the binding is sewn by machine. Should I undo all the binding and do a complete different binding? Undo it and straighten it up and fix it?? Everything else is perfect on the quilt, what say the experts that are QB!!!

ptquilts 11-23-2015 10:41 AM

I would take out the machine stitching and finish it by hand. The quilt is lovely and the binding stitching detracts from it. What do your quilt inspectors say??

barny 11-23-2015 10:46 AM

I would also take it off and use an off white to bind it. It is really pretty.

Tartan 11-23-2015 10:46 AM

Pulling the back to the front for binding is harder then you think. You can get tunneling of the fabric which makes it difficult to get a nice sewn edge. It looks like the sewing was not done very well and it let the edge of the fabric fray out. You can either undo the sewing and see if there is enough binding fabric to come over and enclose the frayed edge or patch the edge first or put on new binding. Quilt seems to be in good shape otherwise and redoing the edge should make it last a while longer.

PaperPrincess 11-23-2015 11:00 AM

I would also remove the 'comb over' and replace it with a traditional binding.

ruby2shoes 11-23-2015 11:18 AM

Lovely top but the binding does detract so I too would remove all the machine stitching, neaten up the edges and put on another binding in a cream colour perhaps.

Bree123 11-23-2015 11:25 AM

I really love that yellow color. If you can't get a good finish with the self-binding method, perhaps you can see if you can match that fabric for a traditional binding.

dunster 11-23-2015 11:37 AM

I agree with the others. Remove the binding and replace with a traditional binding. The quilt is beautiful. I also like the yellow color for binding.

tallchick 11-23-2015 12:28 PM

Thank you everyone for your advice!! I too love the yellow binding and I will see if I can find anything that will work for a traditional binding. I just love when these treasures come my way.

ManiacQuilter2 11-23-2015 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 7384755)
I would take out the machine stitching and finish it by hand. The quilt is lovely and the binding stitching detracts from it. What do your quilt inspectors say??

I would also do it in sections taking out the machine stitching and do it by hand. It will look a like nicer. Seems that the quilt police like the quilt too.