Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! Wedding quilt will not be ready for wedding, how should I handle this (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-wedding-quilt-will-not-ready-wedding-how-should-i-handle-t282559.html)

justflyingin 09-28-2016 01:48 PM

I wouldn't take your precious time to make pillowcases, unless you really wanted to. Just give a card saying the gift is coming. A lot of couples don't even open presents til after the honeymoon anyway...and most honeymoons are a at least a week, aren't they?

maryb119 09-28-2016 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by jbj137 (Post 7663642)
*** Give them a "Promise Quilt Card".
*** Then they can anticipate what is coming.

Great idea!

Jane Quilter 09-28-2016 02:43 PM

How courageous of you to ask the quilt board this question after 2 of us just this week confessed to delivering a wedding quilt 13 or more months after the wedding. I'm voting for you as "early wedding gifter" of the year. :thumbup:

quiltingcandy 09-28-2016 03:03 PM

Okay I am a bit weird on this - but you have a year to send a wedding gift (according to Emily Post) and you you don't have to tell them something is coming. They may not even notice you didn't even send a card. I would finish the quilt and give it to them with the card when it is done. Don't stress over it. The fact you are making them a quilt when you could have just bought something off a registry speak volumes.

Enjoy the wedding, no one is going to know if you sent something, gave them a gift card or a check or anything else. When you deliver the quilt, then you can explain why it's late, only if you want to because I am sure they will not care.

Jordan 09-28-2016 03:04 PM

I was in this situation and I just gave a card to the bride and groom explaining that their gift will be sent soon and they were happy with that.

Onebyone 09-28-2016 04:40 PM

The few weddings quilts I give I give a card with a picture of the quilt pattern. I say the quilt will be given to them on their first anniversary. When I finish it, it is put up until then. The wedding gift is I'm making it. The 1st anniversary gift is I did make it. LOL

susie-susie-susie 09-28-2016 04:57 PM

I recently made a queen sized quilt for my DGD with the shower as the date to aim for. It was a Judy Martin log cabin with hundreds of pieces. I started it in January and the shower was on April 24th. The top was done, but not sandwiched or quilted. I gave her the top and told her I needed to take it back and finish it. The wedding was June 11, and the quilt was finished about 2 weeks before and given to the bride and groom. I was glad to see it finished, and I don't think I want to make another. It turned out beautiful, but was more costly than I figured and most of the fabric was from my stash--blues and golds--with a neutral background. Anyone who knows Judy Martins patterns knows how difficult they can be--but beautiful beyond words. I have 4 more DGDs still to get married--maybe I should start now. lol
Sue

Jingle 09-28-2016 05:17 PM

Just do the best you can. You have some good suggestions.

Cheryl7758 09-28-2016 07:22 PM

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions! I just need not to stress over this. The wedding is going to be very small - they are getting married at their home and then going out for a nice dinner. I think I might do a combination of the suggestions - Note that "art takes time" and snippets of the fabric, but since I don't know them well, I will ask the husband for suggestions - of course he is out of the country on business and got stuck in Madrid after missing his flight home, so that discussion will have to wait until Friday when I hope he will finally be home, after all the wedding is Saturday and he can't miss that!! Now to search for the perfect wedding card - the DH should be doing this! I better be getting some beautiful fabric from Spain to make my DGD a dress and incorporate in a quilt - she has ancestry from Spain on mother's side - we will see if he found something. Thanks again for all the great replies!

DOTTYMO 09-28-2016 09:37 PM

If you are too tired to finish, send a card with a photo of part of the quilt as an exciting taster.