Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help...it won't stop bleeding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-wont-stop-bleeding-t225277.html)

narnianquilter 07-06-2013 05:47 PM

I would take it back to the store you got it from! Even if there is no refund they need to know what's going on with the fabric they are selling!

ragamuffin 07-06-2013 07:11 PM

The old standby to me is to rinse in vinegar. That is what my Mother and Grandmother used. Who knows what these
new products are made of, vinegar? I would use white vinegar on the light colors, but the brown vinegar on the dark ones. This has always set colors for me. Try a small piece. Let is sit a few minutes and then rinse maybe twice. Good luck.

Daffy Daphne 07-06-2013 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 6163285)
It doesn't matter. You can use Retayne on fabric that has already been washed.

What Prism99 said. I've used Retayne plenty of times on fabric that had already been washed...that's how I knew it needed Retayne. :D

justflyingin 07-06-2013 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6163325)
If it was me, I would set this fabric aside for using on an all dark quilt where it won't matter if it continues to bleed. Even treated I just don't trust a bleeder.

I agree completely. I had a piece that I rinsed and rinsed and washed and washed. Finally, I told my daughter who wanted it on her memory quilt, that it might bleed into a few of the white squares, but for the most part, I chose darker/colored--not white or off white--fabrics for the squares. She knows and is aware. She still chose that color as it t was a beautiful teal.

mighty 07-07-2013 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6163325)
If it was me, I would set this fabric aside for using on an all dark quilt where it won't matter if it continues to bleed. Even treated I just don't trust a bleeder.

I agree I just do not trust a bleeder!!!

IrishNY 07-07-2013 04:23 PM

Just to let you know - I gave up on it. I washed it two more times and saw no improvement. Even with Retayne, it only holds as long as it is washed in cool water. Since it is a special gift for my DD, I want to know there is no risk. I'll have to stop at the quilt shop tomorrow to buy new backing. I just want to get it done!

Sashalanda 07-07-2013 05:48 PM

Be sure to let them know what happened. They might want to use a different supplier or talk to where they get their fabric from

bearisgray 07-07-2013 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by IrishNY (Post 6165028)
Just to let you know - I gave up on it. I washed it two more times and saw no improvement. Even with Retayne, it only holds as long as it is washed in cool water. Since it is a special gift for my DD, I want to know there is no risk. I'll have to stop at the quilt shop tomorrow to buy new backing. I just want to get it done!

Once in while one runs into a "problem" fabric.

Aren' t you glad you found out now instead of later when the finished quilt is washed?

qltgrose 07-07-2013 08:11 PM

Use the Retayne! It will stop the bleeding. It doesnt matter of you have washed it already.

Sewmaniac 07-08-2013 01:09 AM

I am not very sure if it would work for everyone, well it worked for me....Keep some water( about maybe 2 gallons) in the fridge,make it very cold and wash the fabric in it. The color does not bleed! You can also try soaking the fabric in salted water for some time and wash.