Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help...it won't stop bleeding

Help...it won't stop bleeding

I am washing a bright blue batik to back a quilt. I've washed it three times and the color catcher is just as blue after the third time as the first. I have some Retayne but it says to use before washing it the first time. Anyone had any luck using it after several washings? Thanks.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Power Poster
    I think it MAY have meant before washing it in a finished item for the first time.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    All you can do is wash it til it stops bleeding. I had that happen with some hand-me-down fabric. It is very frustrating.

Throw some scraps of the other fabrics you're going to use with it in the wash. If they don't pick the color up then go ahead and use the blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    Throw some scraps of the other fabrics you're going to use with it in the wash. If they don't pick the color up then go ahead and use the blue.
    Absolutely brilliant! I wish I'd know this a while back. Let's call it my "Most important nugget of knowledge" for today. I just love this board!
    MacThayer

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    I don't really agree with this theory. Even if the other fabrics in the quilt don't pick up and retain the blue, that doesn't mean that the blue won't continue to come off on the sheets, the hands, other things. It may wash out of all of them eventually, but who wants a bleeding fabric on their bed?

Blog Entries
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/resources/article-118.html

Synthrapol is used to suspend and carry excess dye from the cotton fiber. It removes unfixed or unattached dye and keeps it from redepositing on other areas of fabric. Synthrapol recommends that you use this product to remove excess dyes from quilt fabric. It works similarly to Color Catcher.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    It doesn't matter. You can use Retayne on fabric that has already been washed.

There are a couple of different reasons why a fabric continues to bleed.

One reason is that the fabric has been over-saturated with dye; there is more dye than the fibers can absorb. After one or two washes, all of the excess dye has been rinsed out and you are good to go.

The other reason, which is the one you are probably facing, is that the manufacturing process did not properly and permanently set the dye. You can use Retayne to set the dye; just be sure to always wash the quilt in cool water afterwards, as Retayne loses its effect if the fabric is subsequently washed in hot water (even though you need very hot water to get the Retayne to work!).

Synthrapol merely suspends loose dye particles in water so they rinse away instead of settling into other fabrics. It does not permanently set dye, but rather is useful for getting rid of excess dye without having bleeds into other fabrics (or discoloring other portions of the fabric). This is what you would wash a finished quilt in if you are unsure about bleeding.

Power Poster
    If it was me, I would set this fabric aside for using on an all dark quilt where it won't matter if it continues to bleed. Even treated I just don't trust a bleeder.

Blog Entries
    I actually threw away a piece of blue batik that never did stop bleeding - not a big piece though - so not a very big loss. I even showed it to my DH - in a pure white dishpan - every time that I pushed it up and down in the water it would ooze out blue die - my DH said it reminded him of an octopus that squirted out blue ink when cornered! I only buy my batiks from quilt shops so it was a nice brand/quality.
    Nikki in MO

I would take it back to the store you got it from! Even if there is no refund they need to know what's going on with the fabric they are selling!

The old standby to me is to rinse in vinegar. That is what my Mother and Grandmother used. Who knows what these
    new products are made of, vinegar? I would use white vinegar on the light colors, but the brown vinegar on the dark ones. This has always set colors for me. Try a small piece. Let is sit a few minutes and then rinse maybe twice. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    It doesn't matter. You can use Retayne on fabric that has already been washed.
    What Prism99 said. I've used Retayne plenty of times on fabric that had already been washed...that's how I knew it needed Retayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    If it was me, I would set this fabric aside for using on an all dark quilt where it won't matter if it continues to bleed. Even treated I just don't trust a bleeder.
    I agree completely. I had a piece that I rinsed and rinsed and washed and washed. Finally, I told my daughter who wanted it on her memory quilt, that it might bleed into a few of the white squares, but for the most part, I chose darker/colored--not white or off white--fabrics for the squares. She knows and is aware. She still chose that color as it t was a beautiful teal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I agree I just do not trust a bleeder!!!

Just to let you know - I gave up on it. I washed it two more times and saw no improvement. Even with Retayne, it only holds as long as it is washed in cool water. Since it is a special gift for my DD, I want to know there is no risk. I'll have to stop at the quilt shop tomorrow to buy new backing. I just want to get it done!
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Be sure to let them know what happened. They might want to use a different supplier or talk to where they get their fabric from

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishNY View Post
    Just to let you know - I gave up on it. I washed it two more times and saw no improvement. Even with Retayne, it only holds as long as it is washed in cool water. Since it is a special gift for my DD, I want to know there is no risk. I'll have to stop at the quilt shop tomorrow to buy new backing. I just want to get it done!
    Once in while one runs into a "problem" fabric.

Aren' t you glad you found out now instead of later when the finished quilt is washed?

Use the Retayne! It will stop the bleeding. It doesnt matter of you have washed it already.

I am not very sure if it would work for everyone, well it worked for me....Keep some water( about maybe 2 gallons) in the fridge,make it very cold and wash the fabric in it. The color does not bleed! You can also try soaking the fabric in salted water for some time and wash.

Blog Entries
    Try drying and ironing it, then wash again. I've found this works.

I'm quite cut and dried about this sort of thing and would just use material that doesn't bleed.

Blog Entries
    When I had the rug business I would dye a lot of fabric. This sounds like they used the dye "turquoise" as it is one of the worst ones to get to quit bleeding. Actually sew a small ( 2 x 3 ) triangle of unbleached muslin in the corner and wash it again, with a handful of color catchers. Dry it in the hottest dryer you have. Then take the stitches out and see if the dye actually transferred. If it has, then the fabric needs to be returned to the store. You've done all you can. I just didn't want you to throw it out if the color catcher turned a color. Even if you wash a color catcher with no fabric, sometimes they turn shades just be being washed.

Have you tried Retayne?

Blog Entries
    I definitely understand your frustation. I prewashed all the fabrics, greens with the center set for the joing rings in mauve with a very expensive ($12.00 a yard- for me at least)beautiful cream with specks of green in the backing and background in a wedding ring quilt I made for my DD several years ago. I did not find any color transfer on anything including the color catcher sheets I used. However later when I planned to enter this queen sized quilt in our annual quilt show at the fall fair, just to show, not as a ribbon contender, I washed it in a large capacity washer at the local local laundry mat, because of the size of the quilt. It was washed in cold water, and not dried in a dryer, but much to my dismay one of the greens bled on various spots of the quilt, I have yet to be able to get the dye out of the cream on this quilt. The only reason it was washed prior to the event, was because she has cats and I did not want the cat hair or smell of the animals on the quilt that I wanted to display. I have tried everything since then to get the color runs out, but to no avail. This quilt has only been washed in cold water and never put in dryer. I was horrified, as I had spent over a year ( I was working full time then and only had some evenings and weekends to work on this quilt) on this as a surprise Christmas gift, and then this happened. The dye transfer from the greens are still there I never did find out for sure which green or greens bled. I tried every suggestion I could find, but nothing has taken that green out, and it is scattered throughout the quilt in various spots. Now I still prewash all of my fabrics, but add Retayne and use color catchers to check my fabrics before I put them into a quilt of any size. Now I will not use any fabric that has a tendancy to bleed. I always prewash. Too much time is spent on our quilts to have this problem occur.
    Last edited by Gerbie; 07-08-2013 at 05:25 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast