Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help...it won't stop bleeding >

Help...it won't stop bleeding

Help...it won't stop bleeding

Old 07-08-2013, 04:55 PM

I had an interesting experience today. I had made a few pillow presentation cases for Quilts of Valor, and I washed them since they want the quilts/cases laundered before presenting them to veterans. I put in two color catchers as a precaution since there was some blue. Much to my surprise, the blue fabrics were fine but one of the cases has a bright yellow print. Guess what, the color catchers came out yellow! Luckily, they did not bleed onto the white fabric sections.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:40 PM

I am prewashing fabric tonight and had two pieces of pretty teal fabric and both of them bled like crazy. I always test all my fabrics in the sink in warm water before washing them in the washing machine. I soaked both of these and rinsed them several times and am still having trouble. I don't have any products mentioned in the house but might try the vinegar tomorrow. I've had enough for tonight.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:07 PM

I had some fabric I was using for borders (bright red) for a quilt fora wedding gift for my nephew. I tested the fabric and discovered the "bleeding" by putting a small strip in a glass of hot water! Well, I looked all through Ocala, Florida, but found nothing in stock in the stores. Then, I went on the Rit Dye website. Rit has a dye setter product, which is not expensive, but which definitely works. I ordered the product online. and used it as directed. It works. I don't have any ownership interest in this company or anything, but I won't hesitate to recommend a product which works. I re-tested the red fabric after it was treated and it works! I won't do a quilt and put that much work in it without treating it! As the old saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Jeanette Frantz
Old 07-08-2013, 07:19 PM

I use a lot of green, teal, turquoise . I needed backing soooooo went to the lqs and prewashed the TEAL and my nightmare began,even using Retayne it lost most of the color. I was so glad it was not on my quilt but it was beautiful on the bolt.We live and learn,sometimes the hard way. MIMI
Old 07-08-2013, 10:00 PM

you can use synthrapol on brown fabric and it still ran alittle --- make sure you both and that no more color is coming out.. I have a very dark blue that bled it use the retayne let is soak and then synthrapol and it stopped bleeding and bled alot.