Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   heres a weird question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/heres-weird-question-t50851.html)

sahm4605 06-22-2010 12:01 PM

I had run out of starch yesterday and my mom was out and bringing me some fleece fabric to play around with. Well I asked her if she could pick me up some starch, well she got me this stuff called magic sizing and it is the light formula. should I even bother using it? I saturated some fabric with it and ironed it out and the feel isn't that crisp.
now what is the difference between sizing and starch? and are they pretty much the same or are they really different? I am at a loss as to what to do with it.

raptureready 06-22-2010 12:22 PM

It's spray starch and isn't all that great. You can go ahead and use it. I'd use it on the underneath side because sometimes it will get flaky on you. Because it's the light formula it won't get the crispness that you may be wanting. Personally I like Mary Ellen's Best Spray starch

oatw13 06-22-2010 12:27 PM

In my experience, sizing will prevent the fabric from pulling or stretching, but it will not get the "crispness" you may associate with starch. If you don't think it is "crisp" enough after ironing, simply apply another coat. Eventually you will begin to feel the stiffness.

BKrenning 06-22-2010 01:15 PM

I like to use sizing on light colored fabrics because I'm not patient enough for the starch to setup and end up scorching it. The sizing doesn't have the scorch problem. It doesn't get nearly as stiff as starch but it will hold the fabric in shape as well as starch.

quiltaholic 06-22-2010 01:41 PM

Magic Sizing is actually better for your fabrics because it does not have the corn starch or flour in it that starch has. It's actually used by the manufacturing industry when fabric is made. This came from an article in one of the quilting magazines not long ago. I wish I could remember which one.

buckeyed 06-22-2010 01:42 PM

I do embroidery and have found that the t-shirts I get will show marks from my hoop where the sizing is displaced in the cloth while I sew. I use the magic sizing to put the color back and take away the hoop burn. I would probably not use it as a starch because it is so much lighter than starch.

elkridgequilter 06-22-2010 01:51 PM

I like Magic Sizing if I just want a little body. If I want more (like when I have bias edges) I use MaryEllen's Best Press.

dungeonquilts 06-22-2010 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by oatw13
In my experience, sizing will prevent the fabric from pulling or stretching, but it will not get the "crispness" you may associate with starch. If you don't think it is "crisp" enough after ironing, simply apply another coat. Eventually you will begin to feel the stiffness.

I agree with this, just keep spraying and it will eventually you will begin to feel the stiffness (use it all the time whether it is right or wrong....each to our own likeness

ckcowl 06-22-2010 02:39 PM

there is quite a difference between sizing and starch. i use both regularly; the sizing does not add 'crispness', the sizing adds body to a fabric most fabrics we buy have sizing added to it, that's what we wash out when we pre-wash our fabrics so you can put it back. starch adds the crispness, but if you do not want it 'crisp' use the sizing.

sharon b 06-22-2010 03:45 PM

Always wondered what the difference was... now I know :thumbup: THANKS for the info :lol: