Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   he's gonna think im crazy, but.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hes-gonna-think-im-crazy-but-t184737.html)

BellaBoo 04-02-2012 09:57 AM

I had a separate ac/heat unit installed in my sewing area that used to be the den and one bedroom. The vents were there and it was easy to have the outside unit added to make it separate from the whole house unit. I can shut the two rooms off from the rest of the house when not in use. It made my sewing time more comfortable as I can set the thermostat to be what I want it to be and not hear DH comments about freezing or heat stroke. I also had double windows installed on the outside wall for more natural light. DH kept saying the windows wouldn't work as the wall was all brick. ? He just didn't want the brick disturbed for some man reason. Anyway I had the windows installed and it is amazing the difference in light. Our electric bill lowered too. I don't need a light in there unless it's after dark.

lakekids 04-02-2012 12:11 PM

The problem is the Halogen bulbs. They give off vast amounts of heat - bright light but HOT. I had a halogen floor lamp with a 500 watt bulb in it that I eventually had to retire because of the heat.

Sewfine 04-02-2012 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt (Post 5109043)
IM totally serious..!!!! My sewing room get soooooooo hot.. I sit under quite a few halogen 'spot' lights and boy oh boy I cook in there.. We have central air- I promise- but unless i freeze everyone else in the house I cant cool down my room enough to want to go in there and sew... Soooooooo I was thinking of having him put in an ac window unit... Am I crazy for wanting a beautifully lighted sewing room that gets cool enough to want to work in there???? I do have to say I appreciate him installing my absolutely wonderful 6 bulb extending light fixture.. I can see so much better, but now IM really HOT !!!!

Window unit or everyone else wearing winter coats ??!?!??! hmmmmmm...

No, I don't think that is crazy. I have the same problem and was thinking the same thing.

DeneK 04-02-2012 02:44 PM

portable ac unit?

1 Attachment(s)
have you thought about a portable a/c unit like this one? Won't take up your whole window.

Dolphyngyrl 04-02-2012 03:28 PM

Window unit, my dads house gets like that, only cool in some areas of the house, not helpful in others

JustAbitCrazy 04-02-2012 03:59 PM

Someone told me those portable ac units don't work well. (?) Anyone have one and an opinion?

DonnaR 04-02-2012 07:14 PM

I have the same problem upstairs in my studio. I was roasting up there. I have track lighting with 6 lights in each one. There are 3 of them. I talked to my husband and he is changing out my light fixtures for the NEW T8 flourescent fixtures and bulbs. He has one fixture changed and it is already helping. Can't wait until he gets the other ones changed. Another thing I noticed was the I can actually see better with these. Hope this helps.

#1piecemaker 04-02-2012 07:27 PM

You are not crazy. I had to turn on the air today cause I was about to melt trying to quilt under my one little light. Whew! can't even imagine 6 of them.

nancia 04-03-2012 03:46 AM

what about the energy saving spiral shaped lightbulbs? the white ones give tons of light and virtually no heat. if that doesn't work, i too would ask for an a/c !

jeanneb52 04-03-2012 03:48 AM

Window unit by all means...remind him that you would like to keep your "hotness" for him!