Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hexies (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hexies-t257483.html)

bearisgray 11-29-2014 04:46 PM

The diamond shape that is used for an eight-pointed LeMoyne star is the 45-135-45-135 degree one.

ube quilting 11-29-2014 05:11 PM

I am in the middle of doing the same thing and 60 - 120 degree is right for the hexie. And just cut the triangles in half but remember to add enough for the seam.

I made my diamonds by drawing 2 lines, 1" apart on the fabric I am using and then laying my 60 degree line on a ruler along the drawn line. Draw the 60 degree lines 1" apart and this gives you the right shape for the 1" hexie.

Keep space for your seams between the 1" diamonds . I use 1//4" seams so 1/2" or more between the diamonds gives enough space for trimming.

Hope you can understand this for the time being.

I will post some pictures on Sunday. A visual is always helpful.

Please post some pictures of your work in progress. I would love to see it.
peace

Onetomatoplant 11-29-2014 05:27 PM

I have no answer, but I love the blue they're on now! You know, in case you change your mind about green. Beautiful hexies!

ube quilting 11-30-2014 07:25 AM

4 Attachment(s)
May be you have this figured out by now but I will post the pictures of what I am doing for others.

Draw 1" lines:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]500597[/ATTACH]

lay 60 degree ruler on line and draw lines across:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]500598[/ATTACH]

You get something like this:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]500599[/ATTACH]

Cut around diamonds with as much seam allowance as you want:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]500601[/ATTACH]

Hope this is helpful for when you don't have paper templates.

I made a few card stock templates to use for when I make the folds.
peace

humbird 11-30-2014 07:36 AM

Thanks for the visual.

quiltingbuddy 11-30-2014 07:51 AM

I'm so excited to find this. Thanks RigosaB for the link, I saved it to my favorites so I can try the printing (hopefully to freezer paper). I've just about used all my papers and thought I needed to buy more from the paperpieces website but I'd sure like to try printing my own first. I will try to save pennies any way I can.

junegerbracht 11-30-2014 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingbuddy (Post 6989276)
I'm so excited to find this. Thanks RigosaB for the link, I saved it to my favorites so I can try the printing (hopefully to freezer paper). I've just about used all my papers and thought I needed to buy more from the paperpieces website but I'd sure like to try printing my own first. I will try to save pennies any way I can.

The extra large hexie Fiskars punch is an alternative for one inch hexies. I got mine at Joann's with a coupon. I use card stock junk mail and the cards in magazines to punch out hexies - works great.

madamekelly 11-30-2014 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6987865)
I would put 2 of your finished hexagon flowers side by side and then measure the little diamond empty space to get the measurement. Since your hexagons are individual to you, you will need to determine your own size diamonds.

No disrespect to Tartan-her idea sparked mine, but I might have an easier way? - put two papers side by side, and two papers side by side above of first two, then outline the resulting diamond space and add seam allowances?

mjhaess 12-02-2014 08:31 AM

It is lovely...