Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hi! I'm Stephanie or CruisingStef and I need your help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hi-im-stephanie-cruisingstef-i-need-your-help-t75037.html)

cafegold2 11-09-2010 09:08 AM

As an old Geriatric nurse...Remember these will be washed often. Thinner might be best. Secure quilting.

jdeery 11-09-2010 09:12 AM

Well, I have made some lap quilts, actually it is between
a crib size and a twin, sometimes, if you make some of
them a little longer for the men, that is appreciated. Make
some for men, they like looking at the fish, tractors, etc.
Use low loft, they don't need to be thick, that is just perfect
for warmth, yet not too hot. Your a teasure doing this
for them, they will so appreciate it. If you do a theme,
you could look at the book sales and get a book to go
along with it, like flowers, gardening, fishing, cooking. Just
an idea, maybe more than you want to do.

jdeery 11-09-2010 09:13 AM

Im from Eastern PA also, lots of Homes will really appreciate
her generousity.(East of Holland)

gail-r 11-09-2010 09:27 AM

Oh my gosh!!! Took me less than 5 minutes to make the foot snuggie for my hubby, AND he has it on and just loves it, he thinks I'm a smart and wonderful wife, thanks so much Stef, your the best!!

grammy17 11-09-2010 09:33 AM

I think they have to be narrow enough to not get caught in the wheels of a wheelchair. At the VA hospital here, they give them to the hospitalized Vets. The auxilary(?sp) makes them. It is a great thing to do.

MsSewer 11-09-2010 12:03 PM

I have used fleece for both the front and back. I sew them right sides together and leave an opening to turn it and then just sew the opening shut (I even sewed the opening on my machine as the fleece hardly shows the stitching. No batting needed because both front and back are fleece. Fleece comes in a 54" width so I made 54" the length. I used a wide grid to quilt it. Fleece comes printed or plain. I used a printed for the front and plain for the back. Very fast, very easy.

mountain deb 11-09-2010 03:26 PM

One lady told me that quilting helped get her through those lonely times when her DH was put in the nursing home. I work in the nursing home, different ones for years and the sizes previously stated works well. I am iffy on the ties, they get tangled up in the laundry or get wrapped around the wheel if to long and can be construed as a restraint, which is a big no-no. Think of the batting and quilting or tying process AND then think of how many washings it will go through, will it hold up in the long run? I have seen many made with the old double knit fabric. They hold up well and the color lasts, besides the recycling factor of not throwing it away. GOD BLESS!!!

nuttyhurricane 11-09-2010 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by CruisingStef
I have decided to donate my quilts to the nursing home where DH is staying. I plan on making lap quilts but I'm stuck in a rut.
How do I know what size to make? Just guess? Make one and use DH as my model as to the size I need for the quilt? And how much batting do I need to use? Some of the residents are cold ALL the time/ some are HOT all the time. What type of batting do I use? help

Thank you Stephanie, I am thinking of making one for a friend I have made at the nursing home and was wondering what size too. I think I will make my mine retangular. My friend has a missing leg. K

jdavis 11-09-2010 04:30 PM

If I remember correctly, 45" square or 45 x 60 is what the alzheimers study (in San Diego area) was asking for in donated "lap quilts."
But I would ask the attendants at the nursing home. I'm sure they have some ideas. And the quilts probably get washed in hot water, and dried at high heat. Again, the nursing home attendants can probably verify this.
How nice of you to do this!

CruisingStef 11-09-2010 04:34 PM

I want to thank everyone of you for all your wonderful ideas and help.There were so many wonderful tips on making the lap quilt, but because DH is a large person, I have decided to make the 38 wide by 47 long. Of course now this will give me extra opportunities to shop for flannel from CT!(and other places.)

I want to give a special thanks to dkabasketlady also in Lakeland.