Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hints for newbies (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hints-newbies-t52409.html)

MadQuilter 07-02-2010 08:27 AM

There are many different ways to do the same thing. I think it's important to make a decision based on what you think may work best for you. Take the washing question: I sometimes do and sometimes don't. When I work with intense color, I ALWAYS do a color test to see if it will run.

My tip: Test out the pattern with a trial block. That way you can double check the measurements and how the pieces fit together.

Just read another hint in another thread: Keep magnets away from computerized machines.

cjomomma 07-02-2010 08:48 AM

I learned the magnet thing the hard way!!! Lol

M.I.Late 07-02-2010 09:00 AM

Re: The Prewashing fabric hint: It took me a while to learn this, but I finally read that if you prewash the fabrics (and batting) before you build a quilt, it will not shrink as much when it's finally washed. If you do not prewash the fabric when it's washed for the first time it will shrink and look like a much older quilt. (some people prefer this look). And from my own experiencfe it's true. Also, I personally learned the hard way that some fabrics bleed. I really want to know that prior to putting it in a quilt. I'm with you CJO, I like it to look new after it's washed for several years before it looks like an older quilt. I guess it is personal preference, but I always prewash now.

M.I.Late 07-02-2010 09:12 AM

As for my own hint: When you butt seamed pieces together, make sure your seams are: one ironed to the right and one ironed to the left, this will allow you to nestle them together snugly and hopefully the corners will meet perfectly on the front of your quilt. (Try to always iron seams towards the darker color if possible).

sahm4605 07-02-2010 09:50 AM

if you use batik, and don't want to ruin a quilt wash and starch/sizing.
I never used starch but now wont cut with out it. I soak my fabric in one day and then cut the next.
Washing is up to you but it does help. when washing use the hand wash or delicate cycle tumble dry low or hang dry, your fabric wont fall apart this way. make sure to iron after washing to get accurate cuts and starching helps this also.
I only prewash batiks by hand or fabric that is older or comes from someones home. (no offense to anyone's home, just have allergies pretty bad)
my hint would be to starch if you are having trouble with getting good cuts. I never did before and now wont cut with out having starched.

C.Cal Quilt Girl 07-02-2010 10:13 AM

Practice sewing a straight seam using light stripe fabric, and always sew the same size seam. Happy Sewing :)
Also agree with small project, fewer color combos.

littlehud 07-03-2010 08:03 PM

Start with a small project and remember no one is perfect. Try something new each time you start a project. It doesn't have to be a big thing, maybe just a new pattern. And most of all, have fun. That why we quilt.

susie0808 07-03-2010 08:08 PM

I keep a large glass of water to drink nearby. I get very thirsty when I sew.

roseOfsharon 07-03-2010 08:14 PM

Invest in a 1/4 inch sewing foot! Best tool ever!

Gramof6 07-03-2010 09:30 PM

IF you choose to wash your fabrics, first use pinking shears to trim the cut edge and they will not twist into a knot and fray so badly in the washer & dryer.

Also, take breaks often and stretch. Your back and shoulders will appreciate it.