Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hints for newbies (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hints-newbies-t52409.html)

cjomomma 07-02-2010 06:48 AM

I thought it would be neat if we had a thread with hints for quilting. Here is my hint: wash your fabrics then startch, startch and iron or press. Makes cutting and sewing so much easier.

Bluphrog 07-02-2010 06:54 AM

If I'd been told as a new quilter that I would have to wash and press my fabrics before I could cut and sew, I would never have made my first quilt, much less continued for 10 years. Please do not put that burden on newbies. Give them the pros and cons and let them decide.

And now that I've started that debate, I'll quietly leave.

My hint is spend the money to buy good quality tools and supplies. Use the JoAnn's discount coupons to make your purchases, but don't scrimp on quality over quantity.

kathy 07-02-2010 06:55 AM

don't be afraid to try anything, if it works , good, if not, try something else

b.zang 07-02-2010 06:58 AM

Measure twice, cut once.

Look before sewing.

cjomomma 07-02-2010 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bluphrog
If I'd been told as a new quilter that I would have to wash and press my fabrics before I could cut and sew, I would never have made my first quilt, much less continued for 10 years. Please do not put that burden on newbies. Give them the pros and cons and let them decide.

My hint is spend the money to buy good quality tools and supplies. Use the JoAnn's discount coupons to make your purchases, but don't scrimp on quality over quantity.

I did not start this thread so we could argue over who has the best hints. Please just put your hint and don't put anybody else's hint down.

mlaceruby 07-02-2010 07:08 AM

do something small such as a pillow,wallhanging or baby quilt instead of a queen size!
a finish will give you confidence!
A large first project may never get finished!

Aunt Doggie 07-02-2010 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Bluphrog

4 Paws up! I AGREE with BOTH your comments! :)

Marjpf 07-02-2010 07:38 AM

Don't give up if your first projects are less perfect than you had hoped. Learn from the mistakes made and keep trying. (I have yet to make one "perfect" quilt and I've been doing this 30 years.)

HobbySue 07-02-2010 08:08 AM

Keep a sense of humor about you and what you're doing. Don't get stressed over things not being perfect. :D

janRN 07-02-2010 08:22 AM

Quilting is fun. When it's not fun anymore, move on to something else. Don't stress over perfection or comparison to other quilters. Do your own thing, do it well, and enjoy it.