Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hit the jackpot! But have an issue Hope you Help? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hit-jackpot-but-have-issue-hope-you-help-t223257.html)

sewmerry 06-09-2013 04:30 AM

I had a really bad tobacco odor to eliminate and after many tries I tried a sliced apple wrapped in news paper and left it for several days. It completely killed odor. I would place fabric in a plastic tub and add the apple/newspaper in several places it's a cheap try.

Debbie C 06-09-2013 05:09 AM

if you don't want to chance putting the fabric through a machine wash, how about soaking in a sink or the bathtub with Odo-Ban or Oxi-Clean? That's what's always worked for me. I recently purchase quite a bit of fabric from an estate sale. Everything was in boxes in a musty, damp basement. Oxi-Clean has become my best friend! That and my clothes line to dry in the warm breeze!!

nananurse 06-09-2013 05:40 AM

Get some plain charcoal (not the kind that has the starter fluid already on it) and put some in a bowl in a box and add the fabric then seal it up. The charcoal will absorb the smell. I used this method to get rid of moth ball smell on an old quilt and it worked took a couple of rounds with the charcoal but it worked.

AZ Jane 06-09-2013 05:53 AM

I would be careful. I understand many people find cigarette smoke offensive but some of the "solutions" seem would make the smell worse. Unless you plan on using the fabric right away, I would just try charcoal first. Wash what can be washed and charcoal the rest.

littlebitoheaven 06-09-2013 05:55 AM

Smoking odor can be a really difficult problem. With the amount you have, whatever you decide to do will be a bit of work. Washing would be the best solution, however, keeping the odoriferous fabric from the clean fabric is necessary. The problem is smoke infiltrates every inch. Our daughter stored tons of boxes in our basement that she had packed for years and she is a heavy smoker. After the boxes were removed, it took me weeks to get the smell out of the basement. I used the odor remover containers from Menard's and I also bought a gallon of "Odo-ban" from Sams.

My last suggestion is to separate into like piles and take to the laundromat and use the large washers and cold water. I know this is a ton of work but think of it as a job and how much money you are making by not having to buy all this fabric. Good luck. Let us know what you decide and how it works. Others will surely have this problem. Yolanda Wood Lake

solstice3 06-09-2013 06:07 AM

I remember tupperware use to recommend either baking soda or newspaper be put in the containers to absorb odor. let us know what works I personally would wash as much as possible.

Scissor Queen 06-09-2013 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Candlenana (Post 6110888)
I was fortunate to buy a quilter's stash. Completewith tools, books, patterns, fabric and more! All for $500. There was over 1400 fat quarters and lots of yardage. Small containers with blocks cut and some put together. Quilt tops and some to bind also.
The problem is all this came from a smoker's house. How do I get the smoke smell out without washing???
I am laying it out now in single layers in the garage and airing out and spraying febreze. What can I do that might be faster??
Can I use bowls of vinegar setting around???

Thanks for all your help
Candlenana

You can use the smoker's candles. They don't even have to be lit. For the things you can't wash, (books, patterns, etc) put them in plastic bags with a bar of Dial or Safeguard deodorant soap. It takes a while but it will take the smell out and it doesn't leave a scent of it's own.

I have used this method to get rid of the smoke odor on bolts of fusible, books, magazines and wood dollhouses.

peacebypiece 06-09-2013 06:42 AM

Someone suggested asking Servepro or Servicemaster for advice. BEST advice so far! We recently had a fire at the Condominium where I live. Servicemaster used some magic product to clean one apartment that got a great deal o smoke damage. Not only did the product smell very nice and fresh, but the next day there were no residual odors in the apartment. There are also drycleaners/laundries that specialize in cleaning smoke damaged clothing.

haylillan 06-09-2013 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie (Post 6111856)
My first choice would be to sort by color all the yardage and fat quarters. Sort batiks very carefully. You've got a big handy wash tub also known as a bath tub. Fill the tub with enough water to cover the fabric a couple inches. and add a bunch of oxy-clean, far more that the instructions say (Sun makes a much cheaper oxygen cleaner). Just lay the fabric pieces in the tub. Let this soak all day if you can. Every couple hours take a big pan lid or big plate and use it to squish the fabric up and down. Once I used the bottom of a trash can. If you see lots of yellow residue in the water, drain it and do it again. Depending on how nasty the smoke is, you may have to use the same routine minus the oxy-clean for several rinses. If you can, hang outdoors to dry.

this will work i've used oxyclean to do the same thimg

sewbizgirl 06-09-2013 08:20 AM

For the things too small to wash, lay them outside in the fresh air. If you can string up a line and clip pieces to it, even better... just the fresh air alone will take the smoke out without having to do anything extreme. It takes about a day.