Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hmm...I'm starting to rethink my batting choices (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hmm-im-starting-rethink-my-batting-choices-t70190.html)

tortoisethreads 10-14-2010 06:30 PM

So I'm going to admit I've been a cotton snob when it comes to quilts. I've used Warm and Natural for almost all of the quilts I've made. Recently, I tied a quilt so I used polyester batting. This is the warmest quilt I've made. It's really cozy. I always thought cotton would be warmer. What's up with that? For warmer should I go with poly?

mom-6 10-14-2010 06:33 PM

Because the poly is 'fluffier' it traps more air and thus insulates more...at least that's what they told me.

wolfkitty 10-14-2010 06:33 PM

Is the poly thicker (fluffier)? That would make it warmer. The poly wouldn't condense down as much as cotton after being washed.

oatw13 10-14-2010 06:34 PM

I believe polyester is warmer. I think it is because it is not a natural fiber and doesn't breathe like cotton does. Think of those "rubber sweat suits" that you used to see people wear that made them sweat a lot - synthetics just don't breathe.

I like cotton batting for summer quilts or for big quilts. I usually choose a blend because I am always cold!

dkabasketlady 10-14-2010 06:35 PM

I've always used poly batting(lived in IN.) because of cold winters. Now I live in FL. and use cotton batting. I also keep in mind who I'm gifting the quilt to and where they live.

tortoisethreads 10-14-2010 06:36 PM

I guess it was a higher loft so that would make sense. I also just read the obvious...poly does not breath as well so it keeps you warmer.

e4 10-14-2010 06:38 PM

A fluffy polyester will be warmer because it traps the air. However, it also will get "hotter" since it doesn't breathe as well. For example, you may find that a bed quilt with polyester will get you warmer quicker when you go to bed, but you may get so hot as you sleep that you end up sweating and kicking it off. Each type of batting has its place.

Lori S 10-14-2010 06:40 PM

If you want a bit of puff , and the cotton , try a double bat. I do it all the time one layer warm and natural , the second is a low loft poly. They look wonderful when they cotton shrinks a bit and the poly gives more puff to the crinkles. Plus they are really warm. My longarm person thought I was a bit wacky till she saw the results.

BRenea 10-14-2010 06:45 PM

I will always be a cotton girl...I don't like the way poly batting can migrate and beard in quilts. As for the warmth factor, maybe the poly bating feels warmer because it doesn't "breathe" like cotton. Have you tried wool batting? It makes a super-warm quilt and has the added plus of being a natural fiber. Just my humble opinion. :)

maryb119 10-14-2010 06:52 PM

I use Warm and Natural. I like the feel of cotton batts...especially if the quilt or just the backing is flannel. Something about a flannel quilt with a cotton batt to snuggle under.