Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   home made or hand made? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/home-made-hand-made-t71117.html)

charmpacksplus 10-19-2010 02:42 PM

I always say "handmade" just because it sounds better.

Here's a tip I learned at a guild meeting...... never ever tell UPS or USPS or FedEx that it is a handmade or homemade quilt. Tell them it's a blanket. Quilts are priceless and there are too many horror stories of them getting "lost" in the mail. No one would steal a blanket, but insure it anyway for at least what it cost you to make.

merrylouw 10-19-2010 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter
I will need to mail a king size soon. Are you saying they only insure up to $100! I have way over $200 invested in fabric/batting alone! I was hoping to insure at $500!

No, I think it means that it's automatically insured for $100. Then you can buy additional insurance.

SuziC 10-19-2010 04:40 PM

How about homemade,handmade :lol:

littlehud 10-19-2010 05:38 PM

Mine are hand made. I may use a machine but my hands make it.

dgmoby 10-19-2010 05:54 PM

But ask them about the insurance. When I donated a quilt to the Leukemia Foundation for a charity auction, I wanted to insure it. I was told by the local UPS store that I must have it either appraised or a receipt for every thing I have invested in the quilt. I would be refunded whichever proof I had, up to the insurance amount.

It's worth checking into and asking about anytime you buy additional insurance - ask them what the proof of value is. You'll be surprised at how difficult it is to meet their guidelines - or at least it was for me (since I many items out of my stash and supplies).

Debbie in Austin

purplefiend 10-19-2010 05:58 PM

I agree! Before I started quilting a few years ago, I made clothes, and baby clothes and toys, etc.
Nobody in my family "dissed" anything bc I made it on a sewing machine instead of sewing a whole garment with a needle and thread!
I consider my machine pieced blocks hand made, just not hand sewn.
I have several chronic health disorders and could never make a large quilt all with a needle. They are still treasures to me :-D[/quote]

You did make your quilt with a needle and thread...just machine assisted. Sorry I couldn't resist!! :lol:
I also make my quilts all by machine, but its still made by me, not store bought. My family and friends still treasure them and so do I.

QuiltDraggon 10-19-2010 06:10 PM

I say hand crafted for my jewelry and my quilts.

amma 10-19-2010 07:37 PM

I make it with My Hands, so it is hand made as far as I am concerned, whether hand or machine sewn. I think this term is what distinguishes between factory and home made :D:D:D

jbud2 10-20-2010 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by dgmoby
But ask them about the insurance. When I donated a quilt to the Leukemia Foundation for a charity auction, I wanted to insure it. I was told by the local UPS store that I must have it either appraised or a receipt for every thing I have invested in the quilt. I would be refunded whichever proof I had, up to the insurance amount.

It's worth checking into and asking about anytime you buy additional insurance - ask them what the proof of value is. You'll be surprised at how difficult it is to meet their guidelines - or at least it was for me (since I many items out of my stash and supplies).

Debbie in Austin

My sister is a rug hooker and has had several rugs appraised so she has 'officical' paperwork as to the value of her work. You have to have proof of value not just what you think it is worth.

mygirl66 10-20-2010 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
it is made in your home by your hands. so it would be home made with your hands.

Right on! :-D