Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Home quilting machine and frame (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/home-quilting-machine-frame-t31139.html)

paintedquilt 12-08-2009 09:13 AM

Does anyone have a home quilting machine ie Janome 1600 and a frame. Is so are you happy with it? When you are doing a queen size quilt and you're near the end how much length can you quilt?

Prism99 12-08-2009 10:20 AM

I would suggest joining the homequiltingsystem list at http://groups.yahoo.com and browsing through their files and posts for information. In general, using a domestic machine with a frame limits available quilting space to just a few inches after a quilt is rolled up.

mar32428 12-08-2009 11:34 AM

I have both a full size Grace quilting machine and the Janome 1600. I've had good luck with both. I haven't gotten to a full size quilt yet cause I'm still practicing with lap robes etc.

Yes, you do not have the same space to quilt on as a deep throat long arm machine but you also don't have to pay the high price.

It takes me a little longer to quilt and I have to figure out my patterns but I love the setup. I tried hand quilting and that's not for me. Also tried quilting on my machine with no frame. That was hard work and no fun wrestling a king size quilt under the throat or over my shoulder. I even tried Flynn's quilter and tho that was better, it still wasn't the answer. I'm in no special hurry and one thing I have at my age is time.

MadQuilter 12-08-2009 11:53 AM

I just found out that the Gandquilter machine is like the Janome 1600. I have it with a HandiQuilter frame. Notice I said with, not on. I'm still waiting to refine the setup. To that I want the handi handles (which are out of production, but it looks like I found some) and the quilter's cruise control (which is still in the box).

The frame is set up on a 4'x8' folding table. I actually never measured how wide I can quilt on it. Normally, I don't go to the larger sizes.

Like everything else - it takes practice which takes time which I don't have.

jljack 12-08-2009 01:08 PM

I have a Baby Lock Quilters Pro machine on a New Joy frame, which is probably about what you are looking at. I have no problems with the amount of quilting space usually, but when doing larger quilts I do have to be careful so I get the whole pattern on the available space -- which is around 5" wide, with about 4" really useable space. I like using pantograph patterns, because then you get even pattern overall, or I do my own style of meandering swirly pattern that is OK with varying size loops and swirls. My frame sits on the floor with the machine on a little platform that moves in all directions.

rivka 12-08-2009 02:44 PM

For a little more money, you could get a Bailey -- it's a mid-arm machine, with a throat space of 13" or 15". I have a 15", and it gives me a LOT more pattern/quilting space. You can sometimes find a used one for a really good price -- I got mine for only $1300 and that included the stitch regulator (normally over $600 on its own).

Just something else to keep in mind -- I started with a 9" Juki, and I was very unhappy with the small stitching space. But there are a lot of people that are able to make it work.

Maribeth 12-08-2009 02:50 PM

I have the Bailey 15" on a Grace Pinnacle, which is set at 8' not the full 10', and it seems to be just right. It is now available in a 17" model as well. I also have the Babylock Quilter's Choice Pro, an amazing machine I use now exclusively for piecing and quilting small items, just, for me, it is to short a throat for me to quilt anything large. Now this may just be a personal issue, I know many others have quilted king size quilts on this little workhorse.

weezie 12-08-2009 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by mar32428
I have both a full size Grace quilting machine and the Janome 1600. I've had good luck with both. I haven't gotten to a full size quilt yet cause I'm still practicing with lap robes etc.

Yes, you do not have the same space to quilt on as a deep throat long arm machine but you also don't have to pay the high price.

It takes me a little longer to quilt and I have to figure out my patterns but I love the setup. I tried hand quilting and that's not for me. Also tried quilting on my machine with no frame. That was hard work and no fun wrestling a king size quilt under the throat or over my shoulder. I even tried Flynn's quilter and tho that was better, it still wasn't the answer. I'm in no special hurry and one thing I have at my age is time.

Me, too! (Grace Next Generation frame and 1600 DBX) I've got so many fingers in so many pies, though, that I've had very little time to practice with it. My theory both now and when I bought the frame and machine is that it's gotta be worlds better than trying to quilt a large quilt on any of my other machines (for a variety of reasons that I won't bore you with). I do some hand quilting because I like to do it, but I'm slow at it ... tortoise slow; molasses-in-winter slow. I wouldn't even consider the expense of a long-arm ... for me, it would be a frivolous purchase ... with no way I could justify it, as much as I'd love to have one.

mar32428 12-09-2009 04:45 AM

I started with meandering stitches too so I could get the feel of how the machine works. My machine sits on a carrier that moves in any direction. I also have the styles that follows a guilt pattern but have only just tried it. I think the best for me will be the pouncer with the chalk. I did find that my years of doing free motion decorative stitching has been a big help. I'm not afraid to move the machine. Also I don't have any quilt police around so if I make a mistake, who knows but me and the cats.

hulahoop1 12-09-2009 02:43 PM

I purchased plans for a machine quilting frame (http://www.buildaquiltingframe.com/) and my husband built it for me a year ago. My only regret is that we built it only 8 feet long, so I cannot do anything larger than about 90 inches wide. Initially, I used my Bernina Aurora 430 with the BSR on the frame, but the throat space was too small (or my quilts were too big). For my birthday last spring, I got the Janome 1600p and put it on the frame. The Janome has more throat space. I put a speed regulator on it so I don't have to use the foot pedal. I haven't put on a stitch regulator, and don't plan to. We put handlebars on the back of the sewing machine so I can use pantographs. Our next step, I think is to rig handlebars on the front so I can learn to do more free motion. It has been a terrific setup so far and I have learned bunches and bunches.