Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Homemade Best Press (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/homemade-best-press-t246217.html)

callen 05-04-2014 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 6702693)
Vodka is made from potatoes thus potato starch is in it.

Yes, vodka is made from potatoes so it is a natural source of starch.

Beachbound 05-04-2014 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Trippgal (Post 6702750)
ummmm. No. The starches in a mash are what works with added enzymes and yeast to make the mixture which then ferments and breaks the starches and sugars down into alcohol. the mash has the potatoes and thus potato starch, but the alcohol that comes from any mash (potato, corn, barley, fruit, etc) comes from heating the mixture to a point where the alcohol begins to evaporate before the boiling point of the water. It is then condensed as the vapor travels through a series of coiled tubes, or chilled condenser assembly and collected into the collection tank.

And please do not ask how I know. Just let's leave it that I have a creative family on my papa's side.....

Vodka is essentially water and alcohol, with hints of the volatile flavors compounds that come from the mash components. Everclear is cleaner tasting and more volatile (more alcohol less water) and i use for a variety of crafting uses.

I find this very interesting, what crafts do you use the vodka for? And does this spray actually work? My grandma used vodka to clean her jewelry. I have used rum to make homemade vanilla but I think I'll use vodka next time.

Beachbound 05-04-2014 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Margie (Post 6702540)
You drink the vodka and your quilting looks perfect lol

funny!!! :D I like how you think!

patchwork 05-04-2014 05:43 AM

Vodka is made from potatoes... starch

maviskw 05-04-2014 05:51 AM

I write the recipe right on the bottle with a permanent marker. I have the inch measurements drawn on the bottle, and add Stay-Flo starch to the right measurement, then add water to dilute it for spraying. Usually it is one inch of Stay-Flo and add water to the 5 inch mark. So easy.

If you write your recipe for the Vodka starch on the bottle, it will always be there. (sometimes I have to "refresh it" with more permanent marker, but I do that before it is entirely worn off.)

matraina 05-04-2014 05:54 AM

Homemade Best Press

Originally Posted by Margie (Post 6702540)
You drink the vodka and your quilting looks perfect lol

I'm with you. A little bit of Vodka will make anything look better - or worse.

ube quilting 05-04-2014 05:55 AM

answer please, just what does the alcohol/vodka do in the recipe to make the stuff work? I know that water relaxes wrinkles, lavender smells nice.

@ Margie, Post #9: I agree, with OJ and rocks!
peace

OneMoreQuilt 05-04-2014 05:59 AM

I don't know why it works but it does and I've used it for years! I also use Bergamot, Clove or Eucalyptus oils for a change of pace!

carslo 05-04-2014 06:11 AM

I add about a tablespoon of Frebreeze for the scent as I do not keep essential oils around anything. I like the idea of adding a bit of Staflo to the mix, I will try and remember that for next time.

Trippgal 05-04-2014 06:21 AM

Cleaning up after using polymer clays, solvent to remove stray inks on fabrics, creation of alcohol based inks, photogravure printing inks, some use in shellacs. It is also a popular ingredient in homemade deodorant splashes, perfume making, making extracts and flavorings, and wait, theres more! Lol

the big thing to remember is to get the highest proof possible and keep well capped when not in use. Alcohols are hygroscopic (water loving) and pull it from the atmosphere so you might need to add special type of dessicant bead for anyhdrous alcohols to stay water free. But everclear just needs to be capped.