Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "hope chests" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hope-chests-t241581.html)

Gail B 02-21-2014 06:45 AM

I made tree skirts, pot holders, microwave bowls, Christmas table cloths & table runners, kitchen towels and mug rugs for our 5 grands that are now in their late teens & early 20s. The girls are all thrilled that Gma has these things ready for them when they are on their own. The boys not so much. LOL. I'm hoping their future wives will appreciate them. The girls all love hand made items and appreciate the time involved to make them.

Kimcatlou 02-21-2014 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dorrie (Post 6585930)
As most people remember when we were growing up (I'm 71) there was lots of talk about this subject. I am running out of ideas for gifts, contributions etc for my growing pile of projects. I have 5 granddaughters and three grandsons.
Most college age or close. My thought was to start making useful items that they could use when they get married or have an apartment themselves. Thoughts please.

Dorrie

I made a raggy quilt for each of my 6 grandchildren when they started to college. Three of them are married, but are still using their quilts.
Since I arranged their squares by color, there were quite a few finished squares left. So, I put them together in a scrappy raggy quilt. Now some of them like the scrappy one best, so who do I give it to?

star619 02-21-2014 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 6585960)
Why not tell the grandkids that you would like to start making some things for them to use in their future lives. Ask what their tastes are and what they would like to have. Ask if they have a place to keep the things you make, or if you should keep them until they need them. It sounds like a great way to stay in touch with the grands, and they will also be more likely to tell you what they would like RIGHT NOW if they know you are looking for projects.

Dunster, Good answer - let them have some input! They'll be more likely to use something they've had a say about. P.S. So good to hear from you again! Everyone was worried about you (AND missing your sense of humor)!

Roxy Roller 02-21-2014 07:52 AM

Our daughter is 14, and we are planning to have a hope chest made by a cabinetmaker for her 16th birthday. The first quilt that she has completed is waiting to go into it and she has plans to make more. When I make things for it, I will stick to neutral colors, so that I know she will want to use them someday.

junipergal 02-21-2014 08:01 AM

I have a hope chest for all four of the grandkids (including the boy) every couple years they love to poke through them, and make suggestions of what they like - I started making a 'list' of these things and putting it in the chest', they now love to see what they thought was 'cool' when they were 10 or 14… the oldest is 23, and still no plans for marriage (in school), so they still poke...

sak658 02-21-2014 08:42 AM

When got married in 1962..My stepfather made me a hope chest...back then my mom called them cedar chests..and mine is made out of cedar inside and out...it's beautiful and it's full...of my things from wedding album to wedding dress...highschool annual..and keepsakes from my 2 daughters and grandchildren...and lots of memories in there also..

amh 02-21-2014 09:21 AM

What a wonderful idea. My advice would be to make things that you like. They will appreciate what your taste in colour or pattern was (at least they will when they get older). You could also include items which are family heirlooms, or that they can remember an activity with you. For example: An elderly friend did not know what to give her grandaughter for a shower gift. She no longer baked so we wrapped out a rather old and very well used cookie sheet and her rolling pin, did up a nice note of how grandma had made so many cookies for those she loved and she was passing it on to her grandaughter. Let me tell you there were tears, hugs, laughter and many smiles. That young lady treasures that gift and always will. Perhaps it will be passed on to her grandaughter.

amh

caspharm 02-21-2014 09:42 AM

I like the idea. Maybe ask what they would like or use.

jeank 02-21-2014 10:43 AM

Holiday place mats and table runners. Every month has a holiday or theme.

MargeD 02-21-2014 10:59 AM

I think that's a great idea - my son now has my "hope chest" as I no longer have the room, so I hope they use it and since it's a Lane cedar chest, they just might. I would make placemats, table runners, small wall hangings to go with the holiday theme, Christmas, Valentine's Day, fall, summer, etc., plus you could ask what they would like.