Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Household items turned quilting notions? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/household-items-turned-quilting-notions-t69905.html)

barefoot quilter 10-18-2010 09:55 AM

may i ask how do you take cornstarch and make spray starch please explain i am realy interested sorry for garging in like that

Bev 10-18-2010 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by carol45
this is how I keep bobbins with the right spools

Love it! Gonna rush out and buy some of those screws. Can you give me size to purchase?
Maybe I can even raid DH's tool shed. :x

GailG 10-18-2010 10:06 AM

[quote=nana pat]

Originally Posted by patdesign

Originally Posted by spark
Did anyone mention marbles to hold the quilt up off the table or floor while pinning?

I dont understand this one at all. :oops:

Nan, I sent you a PM.

Butterflyblue 10-18-2010 10:08 AM

On the bed of my sewing machine, next to the foot/needle area, I taped a magnetic business card upside down (magnet side facing up) to catch pins as I remove them when I sew. Then they don't go rolling around and falling on the floor as often.

When I machine quilt, I take it off and just tape it back when I'm done.

GailG 10-18-2010 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
On the bed of my sewing machine, next to the foot/needle area, I taped a magnetic business card upside down (magnet side facing up) to catch pins as I remove them when I sew. Then they don't go rolling around and falling on the floor as often.

Will this harm the computerized machines?

carol45 10-18-2010 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bev

Originally Posted by carol45
this is how I keep bobbins with the right spools

Love it! Gonna rush out and buy some of those screws. Can you give me size to purchase?
Maybe I can even raid DH's tool shed. :x

I'll have to check at home for the diameter of the bolt. Also see how big your spools are before you buy the bolts--e.g. my cotton quilting threads are on larger spools so I need longer bolts for them--also you might want more than one bobbin with a particular spool.

NanSew 10-18-2010 11:48 AM

[quote=GailG]

Originally Posted by nana pat

Originally Posted by patdesign

Originally Posted by spark
Did anyone mention marbles to hold the quilt up off the table or floor while pinning?

I dont understand this one at all. :oops:

Nan, I sent you a PM.

Got it, thanks!

Bev 10-18-2010 11:57 AM

I must really be out of the loop. I have no idea where I'd get a magnetic business card. I didn't even know there was such a thing. :oops:

SNUGQUILT 10-18-2010 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by NanSew

Originally Posted by SNUGQUILT
I haven't actually used this yet, but since I'm in the midst of redoing my sewing room....I asked my DH for a peg board, but he didn't think I'd be happy with it (pegs coming out, etc.)...he suggested just penny nails in the wall...my idea...cover a board (any size you want) with fabric, THEN put the nails in that...much prettier, and sill EXTREMELY useful...I'm thinking my tools, patterns, thangle packages, endless possibilities! :)

I have a 4 X 8 peg board hung horizontal on my wall and love it!

We hung up my new boards last night! They're awesome!!! I have a long skinny one over my cutting table with all my rulers, and a 3 X 4 ish one to the side of my table....holds patterns, cutters, scissors, etc....LOTS of space and now organized!! :)

Charleen DiSante 10-18-2010 12:21 PM

For what it's worth:
I asked my dealer about the magnet hurting the computer in my Sapphire Husquavarna machine. She said the electronics are embedded so deeply in the machine that it doesn't affect it.

Originally Posted by GailG

Will this harm the computerized machines?