Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Household items turned quilting notions? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/household-items-turned-quilting-notions-t69905.html)

debbieumphress 10-13-2010 03:51 PM

I use the "banana" rack to hold my large spools and it stands behind my machine.
I use those cute little toe "spreaders" for when you paint your toes to put bobbins in and it holds them great.
I use empty prescription pill bottles with a hole in the top to put old needles.
I use hair clips to keep the binding in place while I sew. The ones at Walmart etc are cheaper than buying in LQS's.
Also use the freezer paper for any patterns I buy thru SImplicity etc because they last longer and don't tear. Keeps the pattern pieces like new.
I use old cans I collect to keep things like "velcro", Tape" Safety PIns" etc. Label each with tape and write on it. Then they stack on a shelf neatly adn I can see what I need.
This is a great post. I am learning alot. Thank you

burnsk 10-13-2010 04:32 PM

I use my old machine needles to hang pictures. They are steel so they're strong and they make such a small hole in the wall.

I use the square kleenex boxes for a thread and scrap catcher. When it's full it's tossed.

CraftsByRobin 10-13-2010 04:50 PM

I love this thread!!!

p38flygirl 10-13-2010 05:08 PM

Before I had a quarter inch foot,I used a piece of blue painters tape to mark a line on my machine...won't leave residue
I get a telescoping magnet stick from a parts store to sweep across my floor to pick up pins.[saves my back and knees]
Zippered plastic bags from pillow cases and sheet sets make excellent project bags..
I use the bright colored elastic pony-tail holders for making button loops for button instead of making fabric loops...these work on jackets or other clothing or crafts...and purses..

bsktkeeper 10-13-2010 05:17 PM

Please explain use of press and seal. TNX

PMY in QCA-IL 10-13-2010 05:18 PM

I read all the posts, now hope I can remember the things I was going to add:
Harbor Freight has an extendable "wand" with a strong magnet on the end for picking up pins, etc. (look with the automotive stuff probably)
I picked up a plastic shrimp deveiner when we were in Florida and it's perfect for stuffing doll parts or poking out corners when turning something right-side out
I taped a large diameter drinking straw to the side of my sewing machine to hold my always disappearing "PURPLE THANG" or any other stiletto
I, too, use cute cookie cutters for quilting designs - you can position some of the animals "nose to nose" and "tail to tail" to make continuous line quilting
Bought two bathroom drawer cabinets and a countertop long enough to leave a 24" gap between the two. My DH built a well in the "gap" to hold my machine even with the top, so I have a nice sewing surface and 8 good drawers for "stuff"
I have a suspended ceiling in my basement sewing room. I bought several plant hangers made to hang from the tracks in the ceiling and can hang stencils, templates, hoops, many more thing in bags from these hooks (using shower curtain hooks)
Have a hanging jewelry organizer on the wall for little odds and ends
Empty check boxes make great organizers for floss, pencils, markers
Kitchen utensil racks mounted on a wall make great holders for rulers and rotary cutters
The small zipper bags you can get for meds make great organizers for buttons, needles, hooks and eyes and snaps
Pencil bags are great for small projects
I'm sure I could add more if I thought some more - maybe later.

bsktkeeper 10-13-2010 05:28 PM

Dollar stores ( good paint brushs !.00) and auto parts stores are awsome for stuff. telescoping magnet at auto parts is great for pins/needles etc on floor. saves my back. black car ashtrays with Holder /hanger ( walmart Hang on ddoors etc). Bowl with strong magnet in middle for sm. parts ,bigger and stronger than ones in LQS(cheaper too) Cat treat cantainers are clear when paper is removed Good storage(free, Sort of ).

Ramona Byrd 10-13-2010 05:50 PM

For cleaning out sewing machines AND my computer keyboard,
I use those neat curved bristles for eye lashes. They grab cat hair like you can't believe, and unless you have a long haired, white Persian you don't know how much cat hair can settle in those places from a lonely, loving cat who insists on checking out everything I do.

wvdek 10-13-2010 05:59 PM

I also included some re-use items.
My DD's old wood kitchen table is my sewing table.
Old church banquet table raised with PVC legs is my cutting table.
I bought a filing holder from walmart and that holds my rulers.
I made two pots in pottery class that hold my tools. I am in the process of making a taller one in class for the scissors, ruler, and such.
An old jelly jar holds my old needles and cutting blades.
The 2-gallon Hefty bags hold my finished 8" or larger squares and/or quilts that need quilted.
I found a new ironing board at Goodwill for $1.25 and am in process of making a larger ironing board top for it.
An old vinyl flanel-backed tablecloth was my old design wall. I now have heavy duty header fabric and a new 6' wooden curtain rod with brackets I found at the Homes for Humanity store that I will attach to wall at ceiling height for my new design wall. I think it cost me $3.00.
Guess that's it for now.

Jannie 10-13-2010 06:23 PM

I use balloons to pull the needle thru fabric. Can find much easier than those small little circles that are always getting loose.
My dh's automic level to help square the quilt as I am sandwiching.
I love everyone's ideas & plan on using some.