Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Household items turned quilting notions? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/household-items-turned-quilting-notions-t69905.html)

theoldgraymare 10-13-2010 06:56 PM

I use dishpans to store projects. They can stack on top of each other. A laundry basket holds my UFOs. Empty cereal boxes for templates. Empty plastic Huggies Wipes boxes are great for storing notions.

mpeters1200 10-13-2010 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
I use the "banana" rack to hold my large spools and it stands behind my machine.
I use those cute little toe "spreaders" for when you paint your toes to put bobbins in and it holds them great.
I use empty prescription pill bottles with a hole in the top to put old needles.
I use hair clips to keep the binding in place while I sew. The ones at Walmart etc are cheaper than buying in LQS's.
Also use the freezer paper for any patterns I buy thru SImplicity etc because they last longer and don't tear. Keeps the pattern pieces like new.
I use old cans I collect to keep things like "velcro", Tape" Safety PIns" etc. Label each with tape and write on it. Then they stack on a shelf neatly adn I can see what I need.
This is a great post. I am learning alot. Thank you

You use freezer paper for what part? I am just starting out in some sewing lessons, so this caught my eye. The project I'm making now was a download, so my pattern pieces are computer paper.

Riversong 10-13-2010 07:12 PM

My hubby uses Copenhagen(snuff in a little round box) YUCK!! BUT,they are the pefect size for used rotary blades. When its full I tape the box and toss it all.

mpeters1200 10-13-2010 07:23 PM

That's a really good idea! I collect some coffee grounds in a coffee tin. I put my used rotary blades in there and my old, bent needles and pins. Then put the lid on and toss in the dumpster. I don't want any of my kiddos to get a hold of those things.

jayelee 10-13-2010 07:28 PM

I use an old piece of leftover water pipe to put my roll of batting on and hang it from the ceiling,
I use shoe boxes to put projects in
Babywipe containers to store things
Counter tops for all my surfaces and hubby used some old cabinet drawers to make draws underneath the countertop
freezer paper for applique pieces
bamboo skewers for a stiletto
copy paper boxes to stack and store stash that wont fit in cupboards
car floor mats underneath sewing machine foot pedal keeps it from moving
pill bottles for sorting buttons
tupperware soup bowls for pins etc.
mason jars for storing scissors
plate racks for standing up my rulers

Bubblegum0077 10-13-2010 07:42 PM

I use my island in the kitchen as part of my iron table. Keeps fabrics off the floor as I iron and pull it towards me.

I use a tiered plastic roll cart for my notions:
thread and bobbins (bobbins are in a small plastic container in the drawer), small spools thread in this
large cones thread in one
pins, needles, tweezers, small scissors in another
adhessive sprays, black clips, safety pins, in another
pens, pencils, calculator, notebook in another

my dining room table for sewing, cutting and just about everything I need to quilt

my curtain rods in the living room as my display to take pictures

these are just a few things I use so I won't need to clutter the house with more stuff for quilting.

goonberrie 10-13-2010 08:24 PM

Ok, so I'm dumb, what 's a blog and how do I check it out and how do I find out how to read your answer to my DUMB questions??? (Can You tell I'm the newbie?)

slk350 10-13-2010 09:13 PM

I use one of those magnetic wands for playing BINGO to pick up pins, very strong magnet. I have one of those big cutting tables (36" X 60") that fold up to only 12" when closed and also have the cutting mat that fits on top of it.I drilled 2 holes on one edge of the mat and put screws in the wall behind where the cutting table stored, I hang the mat on the wall behind the table.When hand quilting I put several layers of fabric medical tape on the tip of my fingers. Works wonders. I can't quilt with thimbles.

Borntohandquilt 10-13-2010 10:26 PM

I use plates, glasses, cups etc. for creating hand quilting patterns like cathedral window, leaves, chaines and others. Big cake plates are very useful for center medaillons.

nana pat 10-14-2010 12:06 AM

I never heard of using corn starch to make starch...does it work well? what is the recipe? I'm already going to make handcream from a recipe on this board, now for the addition of the starch, wooheeee!