Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   household items used for quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/household-items-used-quilting-t249301.html)

KwiltyKahy 06-30-2014 08:33 PM

I have a plastic container that picture hanging things came in. The sections are just the right size for sewing machine needles in their little cases. Each section is a different type of needle.
And I have toolbox on wheels from WalMart that I use to transport my machine. It has plenty of room to take along all the little things I need to sew with my granddaughter.

Edie 07-01-2014 02:38 AM

Plastic Prescription bottles - all sizes - I like the huge ones to put my different "feet" for the machine in - they stay dust free and I label the bottles and they are there for me right away and I don't have to go searching for them in a box. I use the smaller ones for needles - I have my binding needles, my tying needles and I label them and there they are. Medium sized for travel. Bobbins fit in them and when traveling you can use the bobbins instead of the spool. I prefer containers with screw lids for pins because the lids can pop off and the screw on lid won't. I learned that one the hard way. I have different sized safety pins and they are all in a container with a screw lid. It sounds like a lot of work, but it sure is a heckuva lot easier than picking up pins off the floor and miss one and hear it go into the vacuum cleaner. Ewwwww!!!!!

Personally, I like the glass jars. I use the plastic stuff for freezing soup and homemade applesauce!

Make it a good day! Edie

Aurora 07-01-2014 03:26 AM

I use a buffalo tooth to press seams, the root end of the tooth has a nice smooth point which is great for pushing out corners. It only cost me $.50 and works great.

Yooper32 07-01-2014 04:06 AM

Dessert plates, saucers, glasses of various sizes to make circles. A rubber maul to beat down recalcitrant seams that will not behave. Bamboo skewers when I cant find my "real" one, and finally half a wooden spring clothes pin for a quick "I don't want to get up" press for a seam.

lclang 07-01-2014 04:16 AM

Empty pill bottle to store used machine needles in so no one gets stuck when I discard them. Swiffer plastic boxes with clear lids for storage of binding and donut boxes for storage of binding, large divided plastic tray for often used sewing aids.

ThayerRags 07-01-2014 04:26 AM

The large wooden kitchen spoons work well for finger-pressing quilt block seams. Saves your fingers.

CD in Oklahoma

Wanabee Quiltin 07-01-2014 04:27 AM

We pitched an old dishwasher. The utensil container is all plastic and holds my scissors and rotary cutters quite well on my cutting table in an upright position. Vintage metal pill containers hold needles for traveling. Drawer utensil dividers fit perfectly in my cabinets in the quilt room and hold all my various items.

coopah 07-01-2014 04:31 AM

A no longer used TV remote control holder for scissors, rotary cutters, pencils, markers, and some rulers.

mollysmom2004 07-01-2014 04:56 AM

mollysmom2004

I use empty kleenex boxes next to the sewing machine to put cut threads, empty thread spools and trimmings in and empty them about once a week. Spice racks that rotate for buttons, I glue a button on lid so I know the color of the buttons in the jar.

born2quilt 07-01-2014 05:05 AM

I use a new chop stick to push out corners. Works great.