Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How adventurous of a quilter are you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-adventurous-quilter-you-t234686.html)

leatheflea 11-14-2013 02:30 AM

How adventurous of a quilter are you?

Like many of you, I surf the net looking and admiring others quilting projects. Saving all the free patterns to flash drives, in hopes of someday I may make one. Anyway moving along with this topic...I ran across this ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS quilt pattern that is free. Scroll down on this link http://abyquilt.blogspot.com/2013/07...-entwined.html and you'll see a quilt that is bordered with yellow. That is the full quilt pattern. I love a challenge when quilting but this one would be a lifetime commitment for me! I've not followed the link to get all the details. I really just wanted to know if any of you are attempting or would consider the challenge of a quilt of this skill? You have to admire anyone who would attempt, let alone finish such a beauty!

pelikanbus62 11-14-2013 02:42 AM

That is a beautiful quilt. I am somewhat of an adventurous quilter but not for that one, I do not think I would have the patience for that. With my schedule it would take me 2 to 3 years to finish that.

hopetoquilt 11-14-2013 02:43 AM

Looks cool. I would do it as a BOM. I would prefer if the directions were in a book. I get frustrated keeping websites saved and making sure I return to a website exactly every week or month. Good luck with your adventure.

ckcowl 11-14-2013 02:54 AM

I would jump in a do it if I was looking for something new and had someone in mind, I enjoy challenging myself- and have always been 'adventurous'. I learned a long time ago it is easier when you break it down in your mind into smaller sections instead of being overwhelmed by the whole picture. years ago I had a 'quilter friend' who kept telling me...."you should 'do this', you would love quilting if you would just start" (I had been making clothing for many years) I would go to the library after one of her 'talks' and look for quilting books- pull one off the shelf- thumb through it- usually see one I kind of liked- start to read the instructions and it would start with something like...'cut 810 (2") squares' I would put that book back on the shelf, shaking my head & think to myself....this is NEVER going to happen! then one day I saw a quilt I thought was BEAUTIFUL....read about it- it was a 'block of the month' which I had never heard of before- I read about it & thought,,, 'now that I could do' and signed up...by the 2nd block I was caught up in the whole 'quilting thing' and haven't looked back since. my 3rd quilt even had 4500 (2") squares in it! made out of 15 individual blocks of 300 pieces each. if I had started it thinking 4500 squares I never would have finished it- but I started with a block, and after I had finished the 9th block someone asked me how many pieces were in each one & I did the math... wow! 300 in one block- what was I thinking? I still feel overwhelmed if I put to much thought into the 'math' but if I ignore the math I know I can accomplish amazing quilts. :) and I do not hesitate to jump in & do what ever catches my eye that I want to make.

rebeljane 11-14-2013 03:42 AM

2-3 years - it would take 20 - 30 years to finish this, schedule or not lol

Originally Posted by pelikanbus62 (Post 6403840)
That is a beautiful quilt. I am somewhat of an adventurous quilter but not for that one, I do not think I would have the patience for that. With my schedule it would take me 2 to 3 years to finish that.

jackiequilts4fun 11-14-2013 04:51 AM

WHOA! Far too adventurous for me! tee,hee.
I'm fairly new at this, and am having A LOT of fun.
But there are far more projects that I'd like to dive into before tackling something this intricate.

I notice that you are in Martinville.
Isn't that down by Bloomington? My dd is a student there!
I'll be down to pick her up the week of Thanksgiving.
Can you guide me to some nice quilt shoppes in your area?

DebraK 11-14-2013 05:38 AM

I would have no interest in doing a quilt like this, but have the utmost admiration for those that do. A Masterpiece!

klaws 11-14-2013 05:38 AM

WOW is that ever beautiful AND overwhelming!!! There is no way that I would try to attempt making that quilt. I would lose patience quickly.

feline fanatic 11-14-2013 05:51 AM

I am just starting Needle turn applique. That one is way out of my league. I like to mix in piecing with NT Applique. The quilt, if done well surely has award winning potential.

I thought I was adventerous but not for that particular quilt. Maybe someday I might be skilled enough to tackle a Baltimore album but I think I will get my feet wet with something a little simpler like Rose of Sharon.

Tartan 11-14-2013 05:58 AM

No, not on my to-do list. I have my adventurous moments but that looks like major commitment or should I say I would be committed for observation before I finished that one.