Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How BIG/SMALL is it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-big-small-t174876.html)

ghostrider 01-08-2012 02:05 PM

Don't know that I like being yelled at in large red ink, but I can see how giving the size of the work would be helpful if you're talking about just a photo with no explanation at all. However, posters usually mention whether the work is queen sized, an art quilt, a miniature...that kind of thing...somewhere in their explanation of the photo. And if they don't, just ask them. Seems simple enough. You really only need the exact measurements if you're trying to copy the pattern from the photo for some reason (which is a good enough reason not to give them, imho).

DebraK 01-08-2012 03:03 PM

I doubt dimensions will help there. If you have to ask, it is doubtful you can replicate.

cizzors 01-08-2012 06:10 PM

Don't know if it's just me but some people seem grouchy today. She just asked a simple question and got snippy remarks in return.

raptureready 01-08-2012 06:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sometimes size matters. My quilting instructor gave me a bag of scraps to take to another woman that we knew. When we next met, I showed her a picture of the 'quilt' I'd made and she thought it was lovely. She didn't recognize the piece of fabric. She said, "Oh, I wish you'd brought the whole quilt so that we could look at it." I answered, "I did" and reached in my purse. We all had quite a laugh about it. It's big enough for a Barbie doll. In my small picture on my camera you couldn't see the stitches.

I, too, like to know the sizes.

quiltingcandy 01-08-2012 06:23 PM

I also like to know what I am looking at. Is is a full size, lap quilt or even a miniature. And if I am looking at just the block, I like to know if it is 6 inches or 12 inches. Maybe it doesn't matter to others but I believe it is just nice to know. If I am really curious I could just PM the person posting, but just mentioning it would be nice.

bluteddi 01-08-2012 06:34 PM

curious minds like knowing details......

joyce888 01-08-2012 10:03 PM

This is a topic that comes up about every six months. I think we can answer many questions before they are asked by posting the info (size, pattern name, etc) when we post our pics. Sometimes if you know the size of a quilt you can guesstimate the size of the blocks and determine if you want to make it. I would rather post the info upfront than try to answer everyone one-on-one. And let's face it, it's easier to post the info when it's fresh in our mind LOL.

blondeslave 01-09-2012 07:02 AM

I get confused sometimes when looking at pictures due to the size of the image in the picture. The post indicates the quilt is bed sized but the image in the pic makes it look like a miniature.

gollytwo 01-09-2012 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by cizzors (Post 4856301)
Don't know if it's just me but some people seem grouchy today. She just asked a simple question and got snippy remarks in return.

I'm with you. I found the use of large red type cheerful

I like knowing the dimensions because I can then figure out block, sashing etc. size

DebraK 01-09-2012 07:43 AM

lol, are you sure it's not comments like this?