Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How can I make shelves myself for my closet? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-can-i-make-shelves-myself-my-closet-t188568.html)

jcrow 05-10-2012 04:38 AM

How can I make shelves myself for my closet?

I am in the process of cleaning out my closet (it is one whole wall) of all my "extra" clothes (which I will never use) and want to put up shelves in it for all my fabric. I see pics of really nice shelving, but I don't think I can afford that. I would like three rows tall of shelves. Any ideas? What kind of wood would I use? How would I make them? I'm not handy with a hammer so it would have to be easy but stable. And I would have to paint them so I don't want to spend too much money on expensive wood. I don't want plywood for sure. Any ideas?

lfstamper 05-10-2012 04:41 AM

You can use pine boards and paint them or buy laminated ones. The store can cut them the size you need, shelves and slats. I would use a wall anchor if not in a stud for the slats. You will need a drill and screw driver rather than a hammer....lol. A level is handy too. More expensive would be to use elfa shelves from container store. Their setup is really easy and wonderful when complete. Good luck.

Lori S 05-10-2012 05:25 AM

I bought a wire stand alone shelf unit , and had plexiglass cut for each shelf to cover the wire. I like it as its not afixed to the wall and I can remove it if I ever need to without and additional repair work. I also put the unit on casters so I can roll it out when any major reoraganization needs to happen. It was easy and the most painless.

ghostrider 05-10-2012 05:28 AM

Have you considered the wire/metal storage shelving units sold at Target and Walmart and Home Depot? Most have adjustable shelves so you can space them any way you want, they're very easy to put together with a screwdriver, they'd be cheaper in time and money than permanent wooden shelves, you could buy them one at a time to spread out the cost, they don't alter the value of your home, their non-acid surface is safer for fabric storage, they're movable, they fit in closets perfectly, and they come in lots of sizes so you can custom fit your space.

DebraK 05-10-2012 05:29 AM

putting it on wheels is a great idea.

BellaBoo 05-10-2012 06:15 AM

You don't won't permanent shelves, you can't change your mind later what you want the closet to hold. Get the self assembly utility shelves at Lowe's. They are great. No tools needed and they can be from 2 to 6 shelves high. there is even a corner unit.

jcrow 05-10-2012 06:27 AM

You are all right. I don't want anything permanent. I want shelving that you assemble. I guess I didn't think of that. And I think the adjustable shelves with wire storage would be perfect. If I can get all that on wheels, I'm set. Thanks for the ideas! I was thinking I had to actually build my own shelves. Whew! This is so much better and wiser!

QuiltE 05-10-2012 06:30 AM

Another simple shelving solution is to use plastic milk crates on their sides! They stack well to give you a wall of storage pretty easily, and lots of cubbies for different purposes. Added bonus, you can turn them the normal way and you have handy carrying bins.

I'm sure you can can buy the same thing in your USA stores for minimal costs if you don't want the total salvage look!

luvTooQuilt 05-10-2012 06:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Id hit thrift stores, garage and yard sales.. even craigslist for book shelves..

All my furniture was second hand..My floor to ceiling (all wood) bookcase was only $35..Heavy booger but i love it.. Ive got each of other3 bookcases for less even..
I did splurge on the 24/48 shoe cubbies from Lowes- they hold my fq and 1930's..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]334296[/ATTACH]
and I bought the sterilite drawers on rollers new, on sale a few at a time until i had plenty..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]334298[/ATTACH]

Tartan 05-10-2012 06:51 AM

​Depending on how wide the closet door is, one of the metal kitchen racks that you assemble might work for you.