Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How can precuts be different sizes? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-can-precuts-different-sizes-t290418.html)

Battle Axe 08-13-2017 03:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for starting this thread. I have the same problem except I started to make something without measuring the little darlings. So here they are now....and now what do I do with them. Ideas are welcome.[ATTACH=CONFIG]578823[/ATTACH]I had sewed 4 strips together, I think for a bargello. I had 4 left over when I discovered that they are all over the board. Some sets are 3/4 of an inch off.

Marcia

nativetexan 08-13-2017 03:36 PM

wow, where did you buy them? just wondering. i have some from Missouri quilts and haven't looked at them yet.

QuiltingVagabond 08-13-2017 05:29 PM

Just started a new project where the 2 1/2" strips actually measure a little over 2 5/8" Ends up being more work to trim and/or resize to make it go together nicely.
At least they are bigger, not smaller...

Faintly Artistic 08-13-2017 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 (Post 7886184)
That's why I don't buy pre-cuts.

Ditto...plus they are more expensive than yardage and more limited in their uses.

Faintly Artistic 08-13-2017 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe (Post 7886344)
Thanks for starting this thread. I have the same problem except I started to make something without measuring the little darlings. So here they are now....and now what do I do with them. Ideas are welcome.[ATTACH=CONFIG]578823[/ATTACH]I had sewed 4 strips together, I think for a bargello. I had 4 left over when I discovered that they are all over the board. Some sets are 3/4 of an inch off.

Marcia

You could make a jelly roll race. Nothing has to be super precise. Or something with strings. Look on pinterest for string quilts, lots of interesting ideas.

bearisgray 08-13-2017 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Faintly Artistic (Post 7886419)
You could make a jelly roll race. Nothing has to be super precise. Or something with strings. Look on pinterest for string quilts, lots of interesting ideas.

You can unsew them while you are watching tv or doing something "mindless"

Then soak them in hot water to shrink them and dry them on a drying rack or on towel. Then see what you have.

They are pretty colors.

Gay 08-13-2017 05:56 PM

I've also had fat qtrs of differing sizes, not as a pack but separate purchases.

Mdegenhart 08-13-2017 06:10 PM

Fat quarters can vary based on how wide the fabric they are cut from is. Have to be at least 18 x 20, but some are 18 x 22.

Jingle 08-13-2017 06:46 PM

I don't buy precuts. For the 2-1/2" strips I would just trim to the smallest size and make a string quilt.

I have been working with scraps and just trimming to the closest size. Not a big deal for me.

Battle Axe 08-14-2017 02:15 AM

I think I bought those on ebay from a private seller. All that info is long gone. Thanks for the jelly roll idea. There was a thread about Snake River where the points didn't match up, but I think they were precisely placed. I need to get this out of my way.

Marcia