Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How can precuts be different sizes? >

How can precuts be different sizes?

How can precuts be different sizes?

Old 08-13-2017, 12:22 PM

Default How can precuts be different sizes?

Found some of my 10" layer cake fabrics don't all measure 10"....what??? I'm not one who owns or uses a Go or other die fabric cutting machine, but I imagined factories to have some sort of machine they run the fabric through to get their layer cakes, jelly rolls, etc cut and assembled. Different companies making slightly different sized packs I could understand, but these all came from the same package? What's up with that, or that the normal and I'm just catching on to the down side of using pre-cuts?
Old 08-13-2017, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

I hate that! The whole point of precuts is so you don't have to cut them but if they are all different sizes, you are going to have to trim them.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:10 PM

That's why I don't buy pre-cuts.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

I haven't experienced that yet but I've heard others say they have. The whole point of a pre-cut is .............
Sorry this happened to you
Old 08-13-2017, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

Guess it's good that you noticed that the pieces were different sizes before you tried to do something with them.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:56 PM

I so feel your pain, I'm in the process of trying to use up all my precuts because of this very issue, it's just so frustrating!!!! I too spent time from actually sewing having to square up each layer cake. Lessons learned and I only buy yardage or fatquarter bundles now. The jelly rolls are the worst IMHO I really dislike pinked edges.......
Old 08-13-2017, 02:17 PM

There used to be a video showing how precuts are made. It showed all the fabrics stacked then a big blade came down and cut the pieces. It explained a lot. A stack can shift as it is pressed and cut. I like precuts for the variety but I usually make something that uses part of the precut not all of it. But that is hard to do when jelly rolls aren't 2 1/2 inches.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:28 PM

I've found the same thing as you have. Not all precuts measure to the correct/advertised size. Then one has to buy MORE fabric to make the quilt...and usually I've waited long enough to use the precut that it's no longer available in yardage. So on and on it goes. Very frustrating. So my love affair with them is over. Yardage is the way for me!
Old 08-13-2017, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
That's why I don't buy pre-cuts.
same here
Old 08-13-2017, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

I don't buy precuts to use as is most of the time. I mostly buy them for paper piecing, cutting other shapes using my Go, for applique and such. I can get the right amount of fabric of each design in a fabric line without buying a big fat quarter tower. I have as many pre cut packages as I do yardage in my stash. You'd be surprised what some will pay for an out of print layer cake, jelly roll or charm pack from a few years ago. I make enough on Ebay selling the older ones to pay for many new packages.

I have one of the very first packages that Moda had in a layer cake.

Last edited by Onebyone; 08-13-2017 at 02:46 PM.